Public Information Films (PIFS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Public Information Films (PIFS)

there's another that no-one else seems to remember, but which gave me nightmares for YEARS. Young pale girl with a woolly hat on, in the street, with mum. Meets one of Mum's friends. Kid won't smile. Mum relates the tale...Bonfire night - cut to scenes of firework jollification, pale girl now laughing, smiling, waving sparklers. They go out. Mum in voice-over. Girl reaches out to pick up 'dead' sparklers - gives the most heart-rending scream of my childhood...cut back to pale girl in woolly hat, not smiling, holds up bandaged fingers. Public information being don't touch dead sparklers, they're still damn hot.

ANYONE remember this one, or have I just nightmared the whole damn thing up in to a storyboard?
    Nope, it exists. I've just uploaded this longer version of the "bandaged hand" PIF, I knew I had it around somewhere when I read the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrOWxGvEvTU&feature=related

EDIT: Could'nt get the embedding to work, not sure why
    Last edited by Mykii; 05-07-2011, 17:47.

Comment

• Public Information Films

Thought Id start a new thread on Public Information films of the 70's, 80's.
      What were your faves?
      This ones definitely mine.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXoGLOlnWT0

Comment

• Re: Public Information Films

Comment

• Re: Public Information Films

Comment

My favourites were the Tufty the squirrel ones.They bring back so many memories of primary school.I was even a member of the Tufty club.

Comment

I remember one from the late 90's early 00's, which was about burglary, but I've never been able to track it down. Basically as a family leaves their home, it's very unsecured (open windows, etc) and I distinctly remember the woman saying ".... something... they'll be here any time", would love to see it again.

Comment

Two of the most terrifying were the 'Stop Look Listen' ads. aimed at children, where cars grew snarling shark-like mouths and came charging towards the camera roaring (an early example of real film & animation combination), and the anti-rabies ad. released when there was a brief rabies scare in the late '70s. It showed a severely rabid man strapped into his hospital bed, gnashing his teeth with a hugely swollen red mouth and thrashing about in delirium. Really scarey.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxxy View Post
                  Two of the most terrifying were the 'Stop Look Listen' ads. aimed at children, where cars grew snarling shark-like mouths and came charging towards the camera roaring (an early example of real film & animation combination), and the anti-rabies ad. released when there was a brief rabies scare in the late '70s. It showed a severely rabid man strapped into his hospital bed, gnashing his teeth with a hugely swollen red mouth and thrashing about in delirium. Really scarey.
                  God, I remember all those. Yes, the rabies one was scary for a child.

Comment

The one with the seagulls and cancan girls was apparently called "The Honking of the Weaver Bird" and sadly no longer exists which is quite disappointing. I was doing some digging and contacted the National Archive and they informed me of this

Comment

I'm sure I'd posted on this 'ere forum about National trail PIF's from the 60's and being unable to find them. Anyway, I've found one and I'm sure there's more.

Comment

Another but I think it's from a bit later....

Comment

British Pathe have many of the old PIF's available to view on their website at http://www.britishpathe.com/

Comment

Thanks so much for finding these little gems on national paths. I remember them so well from when I was young. The acorn signs always fascinated me. Ive done a few miles of the Ridgeway over whitehorse hill.

Comment

Apaches, PIF about dangers on the farm. I remember watching this in primary school when i was about 9 in 1986. The scene that has always haunted me about that film is where the lad drowned in a slurry pit, even at 9 i knew that would have been a nasty way to go. I have watched the film on youtube and its still terrifying.

Comment

Urgh apaches was terrifying! Scarred me for life.

Comment

Working...
                                X