Stepford Wives 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepford Wives 1975

Joanna and Walter are the two newest residents in Stepford. Joanna, although a "housewife" is intelligent and creative - taking an interest in photography: she wants to be "remembered". Like many of the men in Stepford, Walter is an obviously inadequate husband. Conflict occurs when Joanna complains that Walter is making all of the decisions for them. Walter joins the mysterious Stepford "Men's Club", which takes place in an old manor house, which is heavily guarded. Joanna is disturbed that many of the Stepford wives spend their lives in domestic servitude, are unintelligent and wear flowery print dresses. Her friend Bobbie thinks that it might be due to something in the water. At a consciousness-raising group that Joanna starts, the wives begin discussing spray starch and cleaning products. The awful truth is that the men of Stepford are replacing their wives with compliant domestic robots. Gradually, Joanna begins to realise that all of her friends have been replaced, and that she is in great danger. Her psychiatrist advices that she takes the kids and gets "the heck out of Stepford", but the men are hiding Joanna's children. Can she find them, or will she be murdered and replaced by RoboJoanna?

This film was regarded an extremely good thriller in it's day and I personally loved the film.......I haven't seen the remake from 2004.........I wonder if the concept had the same kind of impact on a younger viewing audience...........any thoughts?

Re: Stepford Wives 1975

My girlfriend had this on DVD & we watched it recently.

It's interesting viewing with a good mix of comedy & horror.

The sharped will spot a young Emma Forbes at the garden party, not surprising as her dad Bryan was directing & mum Nanette Newman was playing Carol "I'll just die if I don't get that recipe" Van Sant.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The inadvertantly funny bits when Bobbie malfunctions and keeps repeating herself when shes been replaced. Good film. Needlessly remade a while back.

Comment

I really would like to see this film again

Comment

I watched this recently, it was very good. The end was creepy...the eyes on Joanna's robot! Pity it didn't end happily. I haven't seen the remake yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ann22 View Post
            I watched this recently, it was very good. The end was creepy...the eyes on Joanna's robot! Pity it didn't end happily. I haven't seen the remake yet.
            Don't bother with the remake - you'd claw your own eyes out...Its that bad

Comment

There was also a tv sequal with the blonde one from cagney and lacey in. I remember a siren used to sound every few hours and the women had to take a pill. Also followed by The Stepford Children which was very 80s.

Comment

Working...
              X