Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carry On, Carry On's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: Carry On, Carry On's

    Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    Has anyone seen the TV film that was made some time ago about the relationship between Sid James and Babs Windsor? I think it was called Cor Blimey. There were some obvious errors in the chronology of the Carry On series, but I thought the actors portraying James, Windsor, Williams, Hawtrey etc did a pretty good job. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
    I saw it. Agree all did excellent charactizations.. special bloke who played Williams. I have seen the James actor in various episodic shows.. namely whodunnits. His name eludes me for present. Hell James pestered Babs to distraction before she finally relented and had their affair. Expected one of the mob to pay James a visit. Did it happen it real life? Wonder James was not bumped off by Babs husband.

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: Carry On, Carry On's

      Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
      I saw it. Agree all did excellent charactizations.. special bloke who played Williams. I have seen the James actor in various episodic shows.. namely whodunnits. His name eludes me for present. Hell James pestered Babs to distraction before she finally relented and had their affair. Expected one of the mob to pay James a visit. Did it happen it real life? Wonder James was not bumped off by Babs husband.


      So far as I am aware, Sid James didn't say much about his relationship with Barbara Windsor, and since he has long departed this life, we can't get his side of the story. I do wonder how much is fact and how much exageration.

      On a similar note, did you ever see the documentary, Carry on Darkly, about the private lives of James, Williams, Hawtrey and Howard? It was made by Channel 4 in 1998. I recall seeing it upon transmission. It alleged that when James was pursueing Windsor, James and his wife came back from a night out to find that somebody had been in their house. Nothing had been stolen, but all the furniture had been rearranged, and the programme claimed it was a warning for James to stay away from Windsor. How much of the documentary is fact I have no idea. All the principals, James, Williams, Hawtrey and Howard, were long dead, so again we don't have their side of the story, nor can they defend themselves. To be honest, I found it a very depressing viewing experience.

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: Carry On, Carry On's

        Betty Marsden said during filming to Dilys Laye that she always wanted to die with a glass of gin in her hand. In Denville Hall, a home for old actors, twenty four hours after arriving in July 1998, this is exactly what happened. Miss Marsden collapsed and died at the home's bar, whilst drinking gin. This is eerie.

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: Carry On, Carry On's

          Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          So far as I am aware, Sid James didn't say much about his relationship with Barbara Windsor, and since he has long departed this life, we can't get his side of the story. I do wonder how much is fact and how much exageration.

          On a similar note, did you ever see the documentary, Carry on Darkly, about the private lives of James, Williams, Hawtrey and Howard? It was made by Channel 4 in 1998. I recall seeing it upon transmission. It alleged that when James was pursueing Windsor, James and his wife came back from a night out to find that somebody had been in their house. Nothing had been stolen, but all the furniture had been rearranged, and the programme claimed it was a warning for James to stay away from Windsor. How much of the documentary is fact I have no idea. All the principals, James, Williams, Hawtrey and Howard, were long dead, so again we don't have their side of the story, nor can they defend themselves. To be honest, I found it a very depressing viewing experience.
          Yes I did see this program. fascinating. Three homosexuals and one very much a hetrosexual. All with a great deal of sadness in their lives. It has been said that clowns are the saddest of human beings.

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: Carry On, Carry On's

            Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
            Betty Marsden said to Dilys Laye during filming that she always wanted to die with a glass of gin in her hand. In Denville Hall, a home for old actors, twenty four hours after arriving in July 1998, this is exactly what happened. Miss Marsden collapsed and died at the home's bar, whilst drinking gin. This is eerie.
            shouuld have read "during filming on Camping"

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: Carry On, Carry On's

              Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
              shouuld have read "during filming on Camping"



              Like someone had heard what she told Laye and granted her wish.

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                shouuld have read "during filming on Camping"
                That is pretty amazing. Not sure i'd like to predict my own passing though

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                  Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
                  That is pretty amazing. Not sure i'd like to predict my own passing though
                  Like I say.. eerie. having said that she must have been quite ancient.. as she already looked oldish in Camping. But certainly more than a coincidence.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                    In DOCTOR a portrait above the hospital lifts depicts James Robertson Justice, who played the formidable Sir Lancelot Spratt in the Carry Ons rival Doctor series of films. The painting bears the legend "Sir James R. Justice - Founder".

                    Comment


                    • Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                      That's a nice touch. Robertson Justice was a natural for Sir Lancelot, and was in lots of things in the 60s. He's very good in a couple of comedies with Stanley Baxter...The Fast Lady and Father came Too, both from the early 60s.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                        Just wondered if anyone managed to see any of the series on the big screen?

                        The ones I can remember seeing are:

                        Regardless--a 16mm print at a church hall. It may have been a fundraiser for Toc H.

                        Again Doctor and Camping my mum took me to see at our local cinema when they were released.

                        Columbus my wife and I saw at our local cinema when it was released.

                        Again Doctor and Camping were double bills. I think the supporting film for Camping may have been Mosquito Squadron, a low budget WW2 action drama.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                          Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          Just wondered if anyone managed to see any of the series on the big screen?

                          The ones I can remember seeing are:

                          Regardless--a 16mm print at a church hall. It may have been a fundraiser for Toc H.

                          Again Doctor and Camping my mum took me to see at our local cinema when they were released.

                          Columbus my wife and I saw at our local cinema when it was released.

                          Again Doctor and Camping were double bills. I think the supporting film for Camping may have been Mosquito Squadron, a low budget WW2 action drama.
                          I saw most of the early (b&w) ones at boarding school. The later ones on television. Terrific movie Mosquito Squadron.. David McCallum. Can still hear the soundtrack in my mind.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                            Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                            I saw most of the early (b&w) ones at boarding school. The later ones on television. Terrific movie Mosquito Squadron.. David McCallum. Can still hear the soundtrack in my mind.


                            Mosquito Squadron is a good'un. It was part of a series of WW2 based war films made by the same company in the late 60s. Others include Attack on the Iron Coast and the 1,000 Plane Raid.

                            Carry on Dick was Sid James's last Carry On film. He had agreed with the producers that it would be his last, so even if he had not died in 1976, we would not have seen him in any more.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                              In 1989, Les Dawson was playing the Sunderland Empire, where Sid James died in 1976. Dawson was in his dressing room, sitting at his dressing table, when he heard a familiar and distinctive laugh, and saw Sid James reflected in the dressing table's mirror. Dawson said that the apparition looked ghastly, and before it vanished it spoke to him, though Dawson never revealed what it said. The incident affected Dawson so much that he never worked at that theatre again. The dressing room was allegedly the one used by Sid James the night he died.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Carry On, Carry On's

                                Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                                In 1989, Les Dawson was playing the Sunderland Empire, where Sid James died in 1976. Dawson was in his dressing room, sitting at his dressing table, when he heard a familiar and distinctive laugh, and saw Sid James reflected in the dressing table's mirror. Dawson said that the apparition looked ghastly, and before it vanished it spoke to him, though Dawson never revealed what it said. The incident affected Dawson so much that he never worked at that theatre again. The dressing room was allegedly the one used by Sid James the night he died.
                                I think i've read about this before staffslad, it's very spooky and i would never step foot into that dressing room if i was an entertainer!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X