No announcement yet.

Your Top 10 Christmas Movies ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of years ago I started a thread about the films on BBC 1 and ITV that have been on immediately after The Queen at around 3.10 pm, and looking at the old schedules, there have been a huge choice over the years - Disney films (stand up, Ms M Poppins), James Bond films (interrupted every 25 minutes or so on ITV to invite us half a dozen times to Boxing Day sales at well known stores), Superman premiered here in 1983 (Chris Reeve's first adventure), and the odd Harry Potter film has been found in the past 15 years or so. The Please Sir! film was first shown, post Queen in 1976 as well.

Instead of a stack of DVDs I often rely on Pot Luck and see what the broadcasters have in store for us TV Licence members - I have access to Sky Movies but it is annoying to have to put the four digit code to watch a 15 certificate film during the day.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
      They have started showing xmas movies on channel 51.A snowy film around a roaring log fire if you have one
      Nah, far too early
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

But would Christmas without Scrooge be a lot better, or just less traditional?
        Why might it be better?

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post

Why might it be better?
          Because Christmas is supposed to be about happiness, the birth of Jesus and celebration - Scrooge doesn't really come into any of that - he represents the minority side of Christmas.

Mind you, I lost my mother close to Christmas, but you can't let that get the better of you at that time of year.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Because Christmas is supposed to be about happiness, the birth of Jesus and celebration - Scrooge doesn't really come into any of that - he represents the minority side of Christmas.

Mind you, I lost my mother close to Christmas, but you can't let that get the better of you at that time of year.
            Surely the message in Scrooge is about mortality and why we should all consider others especially at christmas, scrooge learns the lessons taught to him by the three spirits and emerges a better person

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post

Surely the message in Scrooge is about mortality and why we should all consider others especially at christmas, scrooge learns the lessons taught to him by the three spirits and emerges a better person
              Bah Humbug.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It is hard to pick top 10 because every new film which I watch can push the 10th film out of the list of the best movies ever The other day I saw The Phone Booth. An old film with Colin Farrell but it is still worth watching. Highly recommend!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978
                  A couple of years ago I started a thread about the films on BBC 1 and ITV that have been on immediately after The Queen at around 3.10 pm, and looking at the old schedules, there have been a huge choice over the years - Disney films (stand up, Ms M Poppins), James Bond films (interrupted every 25 minutes or so on ITV to invite us half a dozen times to Boxing Day sales at well known stores), Superman premiered here in 1983 (Chris Reeve's first adventure), and the odd Harry Potter film has been found in the past 15 years or so. The Please Sir! film was first shown, post Queen in 1976 as well.

Instead of a stack of DVDs I often rely on it to see what the broadcasters have in store for us. TV Licence members - I have access to Sky Movies but it is annoying to have to put the four digit code to watch a 15 certificate film during the day.
                  I hate when movies are interrupted to show ads. Once I got Premium on youtube and I must say that this platform now seems quite different after I got rid of the ads in the clips.

Comment

I recall in the 70s every Christmas there would be Marx Brothers films aired.

Comment

Looking at it another way I remember anticipating getting both the Radio and TV Times, a precursor as far as festive viewing was concerned.
                      At risk of going off topic I have fond memories of Ghost Stories for Christmas... Lost Hearts was a gem, still sends shivers down my spine to this day.

Comment

For me Home Alone and Home Alone 2 but, for sure the first one is my favorite.

Comment

Working...
                        X