Cheesy daytime quiz shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheesy daytime quiz shows

There was also Cuckoo In The Nest, Whose Baby with Bernie Winters/Leslie Crowther and Winner Takes All with Jimmy Tarbuck.
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I remember Going for Gold quite well, and Supermarket sweep too. Don't really remember watching the others mentioned though.

Comment

What's my line was another one where people had to guess what people did for a living from a mime, and there was also call my bluff.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Here's one for you.....Box Clever presented by Emlyn Hughes.

Anyone remember this?

Comment

"No win, no fee", Paul Ross hosted this lacklustre game show in the 90's ...I think! Who remembers "King of the Castle"?, think I watched it once.

Comment

Also remember two teatime quiz shows:

Master Team presented by Angela Rippon

Catchword presented by Paul Coia

Comment

there was one on Chanel 5 when it first came on air hosted by tim vine where the whole audience were the contestants i seem to have a sureal memory of one of them having to wear a paper bag over their head for some reason(or was that from a fetish film that was on at the same time)

Comment

Originally posted by n3llyo View Post
                  there was one on Chanel 5 when it first came on air hosted by tim vine where the whole audience were the contestants i seem to have a sureal memory of one of them having to wear a paper bag over their head for some reason(or was that from a fetish film that was on at the same time)
                  This was Whittle aired in 1997. The audience of 100 people played and were gradually whittled down to one winner.
                  Eliminated contestants had to wear a yellow mask with a purple W on it.
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by n3llyo View Post
                    here u go.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd0cNrm-pp8
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I always thought that Going for gold was a bit unfair and Henry Kelly always penalised the foreingers if they couldnt pronounce the answer properly. it took me ages to understand what HK meant by "youre playing catch-up" when someone was behind - i thought a special part of the rules had been invoked. i finally realised it was just a way to give a quiz game type name to being behind.

Comment

I remembered another quiz in my sleep last night - 'The Zodiac Game'. I can't remember if it was daytime or evening, but I remember the jaunty theme song ran through all the signs of the Zodiac before announcing the programme's title. I can't remember the rules or how many players played it or who the host was or anything (I could probably look it up if I could be bothered), but I imagine as a child I was probably disappointed to find out that it wasn't actually about large Ford saloon cars of the '50s and '60s.
                        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I think Tom O'Connor presented The Zodiac Game, which was made by Anglia.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

All Clued Up, loved the giant keyboard.

Comment

These were all much nicer to watch than Jeremy Kyle.

Comment

Well I started on this thread at half six (kids and pregnant wife all went to bed at six tonight), looked up Whittle on YouTube via Darren's link, and I'm finally back after getting lost in classic tv clips for three flamin hours!

we need cheesy daytime quizzes back!

My favorite (might be after 2000 though) was the Paul Ross BBC1 one where if anyone won, Paul wouldn't be paid. He got seriously nasty and visibly annoyed when someone won!
                                I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Working...
                                X