X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doctor Who is 48 Today!

Hi darren,

I was never really a fan of the Davison titles. I think perhaps it has a lot to do with one's age, and when DW seemed 'special'. I like the early and late Pertwee, and early Tom Baker ones the best.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
      He is indeed (though it helps that you can't see that costume on audio). 'The Pirates' is my favourite of Colin's audio stories-it's hilarious!
      Ar, now I'm really not so sure about the light hearted ones. I like the deep and desperate dramas more 'Arrangements for War'?

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
        Ar, now I'm really not so sure about the light hearted ones. I like the deep and desperate dramas more 'Arrangements for War'?
        Oh, I like both, depending on what mood I'm in. I think that's part of the appeal of those stories, there's something for all tastes and all moods.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
          Hi darren,

I was never really a fan of the Davison titles. I think perhaps it has a lot to do with one's age, and when DW seemed 'special'. I like the early and late Pertwee, and early Tom Baker ones the best.
          hi mate.
          i was born in 75 and i got into dr who around the davison era.

he was the first dr's episodes i saw on tv and that is why i like him so much.

but over the last year or so ive watched well over 40 stories from various dr's.
          id say pertwee is my second fave dr.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            I’m no DW fan, but I don’t think it did any harm to have a ‘sexy’ doctor. David Tennant piqued my interest for a few episodes but then I still couldn’t get away with the show so I abandoned it again, but it did get me tuning in at least and probably got the show some new viewers. Overall though, I reckon the doctor needs to be older and more eccentric, and why not female for a change? Is that allowed? Christopher Walken would be good. Old, eccentric and still sexy in a weird sort of way.
            I think its been established he's male - we've had nearly 50 years of him male. He's become a bit of a 'sex symbol' to female fans and the male viewers have the companions...I think it'd be rather stupid him suddenly becoming female. That and the fact they had Timelady's on Gallifrey his home world and male/female reproduction as we do here on Earth...It actually annoys me all this 'change him into a woman'. As a male fan, I don't want to fancy the Doctor. He's just this weird likeable/irritating know - it - all male whose old and can change his look once in a while...I may wish sometimes for an ethnic Doc but its not going to happen. Its like having a Black Robin in Batman or changing Miss Marple into a MR Marple...or Poirot into Poirette...Neil Gaiman wrote a piece of twoddle in a recent story about the Doc having a former friend who could regenerate from male to female - maybe they can but the original conceit of 12 regenerations, living a total of 13 lives has always been the strongest concept and endured. even Russell T Davies tried to establish the new 507 regenerations in a Sarah Jane Adventures story the new 11th Doc guested in but it didn't stand - he said he did it as a joke but at the same time he said even he felt the 12 regenerations thing still was enduring for the fans.

I think in an alternate universe they could have a female Doc, and perhaps it would be interesting our Doc meeting his female counterpart and I know there were some audio adventures with Arrabella Weir which had that a while back...but no, I think on the whole a lot of fans wouldn't like it and a lot of little boys who love the show would end up a trite upset. I know I would. We have Batman, Superman, Spiderman and we have female separate versions that coexist but not a sudden change of sex. I actually think if in the 60's or 70's the producers had done such things as 'the Doc can become female or change ethnicity' then it would be an established and accepted fact by now but all in all a few things are now set in stone: male, female/male companions, sonic screwdrivers, blue police box Tardis which sometimes has a different interior change.

Comment

P.S. My fave Docs are:

TOM "THE GOD" BAKER!!!!!
              JON PERTWEE,
              PETER DAVISION, (grew up with this one),
              DAVID TENNANT,
              CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON,

For me though, Baker really did set the benchmark for all other Who's....the mans a genius.

Comment

my top 5.
                Peter davison grew up with him.
                jon pertwee
                tom baker
                colin baker
                sulvester mccoy.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                  Thats a good point. As someone of Asian descent I've often felt the programme is far too sub - conscieously racist as well. Its interesting how the Doc never fell for Martha, she was infinitely more intelligent that a 19 year old council estate blonde but lo and behold he 'fell in love with her' which was rather stupidly unbelivable given his age compared to hers...The papers at the time of Freema Agemans casting kept harping on and on about the colour of her skin as 'first Black companion' as opposed to 'NEW COMPANION'...
                  Which I could never quite understand, as the first black companion was actually Mickey. The papers always seem to ignore the male companions, even though there've been a lot of them over the years.
                  The programme won't ever dare to have a coloured Doctor, period.
                  In fact, according to several insiders, Patterson Joseph was shortlisted last time. Matt Smith was given the role purely because the BBC executives wanted someone younger.
                  On the one hand, even I think, why should it as genetically, its pretty established the Doctors a White Timelord, and I expect they had ethnicity on Gallifrey, they finally showed some on the flashback to the Master as a kid in the background after some near 50 years...Its interesting that the programme, whilst featuring ethnic characters now and again doesn't put forward too many ethnic characters in main roles...look at the current Tardis, even Idris was White, his companions are safely White, the actual production team by and large is White. Even if they realise it or not the writers etc project their own subconcious prejudices onto the show...
                  The Doctor Who production team has traditionally bucked those kind of trends at the BBC. Doctor Who's first ever Director, Waris Hussein, was the first Asian director at the BBC and its first Producer, Verity Lambert, one of the only female Producers at the time and one of the youngest.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                    P.S. My fave Docs are:

TOM "THE GOD" BAKER!!!!!
                    JON PERTWEE,
                    PETER DAVISION, (grew up with this one),
                    DAVID TENNANT,
                    CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON,
                    For me:
                    Tom Baker
                    Matt Smith
                    Patrick Troughton
                    Paul McGann (based on the radio stories)
                    Sylvester McCoy.

I like my Doctors quirky and whimsical with a core of steel.

For me though, Baker really did set the benchmark for all other Who's....the mans a genius.
                    Agreed!

Comment

Since 1963 Dr Who went for strengh to strengh,and I loved the period from Pertwee to Tom baker.That was untill they introduced K9.Then it went down hill rapidly.K9 did nothing really to improve the storyline just add unnecessary humour.Producers thought the show was getting too serious and dark so K9 appeared.I really loved the darker side of Dr Who.Adric did not help matters,along with so many 80's companions.For me Davidson through to mid sylvester Mccoy were the waste years of neglect.Some ok storys,a lot of poor storys,but nothing to compare with the earlier years for quality of the actual storyline.But good ole Sylvester dispite of the BBC running the program down did pull a few cracking storys just before the original series was axed.I wished he was given another season or two as his doctor was really mysterious and dark and really played on mystery and fear.Ghost light and the curse of fenric showed what a great doctor mccoy was and could be,and what we could expect if he was allowed to continue.He matured and grew into the part very well indeed near the end.
                      The new Doctor who storys are good,but I still feel happier with the older doctors.Too fast paced,and very often the characters especially the villans don't have enough time to develop properly before its over all too soon especially in the individual episodes that build up the longer story arcs.

Comment

another thing i do not like is the stories are not long enough.

loads of the older stories where 1 hr and a half to 2 hrs and a half.

lots of old stories had had at least 4 25 min episodes.

when will they have stories that long again.

Comment

I have to agree.These days it is short storys which in turn build up a longer story arcs like bad wolf.But they are so fast paced often the main story arc is lost or not even taken notice of,or used just to string unrelated storys together.Unless you were looking for the main story you would miss it or with younger viewers it goes over their heads.

The 1-half long storys were a feature of colin bakers time,and were BBC's attempt try to keep the program running whilst side lining the story out of it's prime time slot it used to have.Colin Baker was one of the doctors that had a real bad deal all round. His time as the doctor suffered in part due to the trial of a time lord story arc and the way the BBC were treating Dr Who as a whole,and he was not that well treated by the BBC.Pushed out long before his time.He was a real edgy doctor,and I would of loved to see him in some decent storys.Attack of the Cybermen was the best it got,possibly his best.

I would love to see the BBc concentrate on the old ideal of just developing a single story over several weeks without resorting to all the tiny individual storys to build up a larger story arc.

The new doctor does not make all that sence either,as a time lord like in the old episodes,time has no boundaries to a time traveller.The shear fact that a timeloard can excist past his own point of demise is proof enough that the extinction of his homeworld has no real importance to why he cannot visit his home world,as he can easily travel in time to the point where his home world still excists and visit it.He has no restrictions apart from those he makes himself.Other time lords unaccounted for to date are the Time Meddler,and the Rani.Wonder if the Rani will make another appearance soon,perhaps they can improve on the tetraps as well.

Comment

check this out.
                            http://youtu.be/8bfLQTOGtOA

Comment

must agree battyrat i find it hard to get into matt smith as the dr.
                              i cant maje sense where he is cincerned.
                              stories to short etc.

I wonder is it fown to money that a story is only 1 45 min episode.

i like stories that take time to develop.
                              go back to pertwee, tom baker there stories where normally at least 4 episodes of 25 mins.
                              i also find the older stories had more atmosphere.

Also id like to see stories where the silurians are involved.
                              tw great pertwee stories planet of the spiders and the sea devils they where long stories.
                              they where both six episodes of 25 mins and they where fantastic.
                              think how poor they would have been if they where both just 45 mins like todays stories.

check this from colin baker.
                              http://youtu.be/O71Sq6v5fpQ

Comment

check this another unused title sequence.
                                http://youtu.be/axZt3G6XONg

Comment

Working...
                                X