This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doctor Who is 48 Today!

The Underwater Menace part two and Galaxy Four part three! Great news!

Comment

I never knew there was so much to Dr Who.......when I was a kid I wasn't allowed to watch it incase it was too scarey so over the years I never got into the programme.

Comment

I hope that's true, it's been a few years since any episode have been found.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          I hope that's true, it's been a few years since any episode have been found.
          It's been confirmed. There's expected to be an announcement about a DVD release next year.

Comment

Two More Lost Doctor Who Episodes Found!

The BBC has confirmed that two episodes of Doctor Who from the mid sixties which were believed to be lost forever have been recovered. The third episode of the William Hartnell story Galaxy Four and the second episode of the Patrick Troughton story The Underwater Menace were discovered in the private collection of a retired engineer who bought the film cans at a school fete in the 1980s but did not realize until recently that they were episodes not held in the BBC archives. The episodes are currently being restored with a view to a DVD release sometime next year. This brings the total number of Doctor Who episodes still missing down to 106! The Underwater Menace part two is now the earliest known surviving Patrick Troughton episode.

Comment

Re: Two More Lost Doctor Who Episodes Found!

Great news! I was thinking recently if any more were waiting to be found.

The last few have been found by collectors rather then being returned by TV companies around the world.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The mystery is who donated them to the fete, and where did they get them from?

Comment

Re: Doctor Who!

Merged Doctor Who threads.
                  The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Yeah it is a bit odd that these tapes get found in far off parts of the world and such like....

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                      Yeah it is a bit odd that these tapes get found in far off parts of the world and such like....
                      A lot of the episodes were sold to foreign TV stations. The BBC wiped the original copies, but copies from abroad are still turning up. The copy of The Underwater Menace part two they've just found was from Australia's ABC network, apparently.

Comment

I still cannot believe that so many tapes were wiped from early tv progs. So much classic tv has been lost, maybe forever if they don't turn up like these have from other sources :cry:
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                          The BBC has confirmed that two episodes of Doctor Who from the mid sixties which were believed to be lost forever have been recovered. The third episode of the William Hartnell story Galaxy Four and the second episode of the Patrick Troughton story The Underwater Menace were discovered in the private collection of a retired engineer who bought the film cans at a school fete in the 1980s but did not realize until recently that they were episodes not held in the BBC archives. The episodes are currently being restored with a view to a DVD release sometime next year. This brings the total number of Doctor Who episodes still missing down to 106! The Underwater Menace part two is now the earliest known surviving Patrick Troughton episode.
                          this is great news mate.

i was listening to the tv today and it was said 1 hundred and nine episodes where missing and for people to look in there attics etc.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                            I still cannot believe that so many tapes were wiped from early tv progs. So much classic tv has been lost, maybe forever if they don't turn up like these have from other sources :cry:

from what o heard a lot of programmes where just taped over in those days.
                            im sure back in the sixties etv they never thought of keeping those old episodes of dr who.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              this is great news mate.

i was listening to the tv today and it was said 1 hundred and nine episodes where missing and for people to look in there attics etc.
                              It's only 106. It was 109 before The Dalek Masterplan part 2 turned up in 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                                from what o heard a lot of programmes where just taped over in those days.
                                im sure back in the sixties etv they never thought of keeping those old episodes of dr who.
                                Well, there was no such thing as home video and it was BBC policy never to repeat anything more than twice in the sixties, so they weren't thought to have any value. They just took up space. That was the thinking. TV was regarded as disposable, as a medium.

Comment

Working...
                                X