Brookside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookside

What a fantastic soap this one, I am sorry if its been discussed before, I have had a search for it and nothing came up, who was your fav character and what scenes do you remember?

I liked the Grants and saw "Damion" on a prog yesterday and apart from getting older he hasn't changed much.

And do you remember the Spin off Damion & Debbie?

Oh I could go on for hours!

I do remember the Isle of Man missing the start as they couldn't get Channel 4 over there!

Re: Brookside

I watched Brookie from day 1............although some of the story lines were just a bit far fetched ( all soaps have em ) I thought it was a shame when they called it a day.........I did think the earlier characters were the best.

Comment

Yeah, I watched it in the early days and enjoyed it. Excellent theme tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
        Yeah, I watched it in the early days and enjoyed it. Excellent theme tune.
        I always thought the vangelis track 'after the first embrace from you' sounded like the theme to brookside........you can actually sing the lyrics to the tune..........yes i know small minds and all that lol

Comment

And for anyone who wants to sing those lyrics, here's Dana! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6rDc4XQOQ

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
            And for anyone who wants to sing those lyrics, here's Dana! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6rDc4XQOQ

Good God!!!

Comment

I watched it from the beginning as well, I loved it and was very sad when it finished. I also watched the Debbie and Damian spin off and have a number of videos upstairs of 'special episodes' that they made such as The Lost Weekend which I think was when Lindsay Corkhill got kidnapped. I fancied Barry Grant.

Comment

The theme images were so dreary! All those pics of buildings and flats and roads. I recognise some of them now as Liverpool landmarks but I didn't back then. Never watched the show, but just remember those dull urban shots. Not a patch on Coronation Street with the infamous chimneys and cat.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Vegasqueen1970 View Post
                  I watched it from the beginning as well, I loved it and was very sad when it finished. I also watched the Debbie and Damian spin off and have a number of videos upstairs of 'special episodes' that they made such as The Lost Weekend which I think was when Lindsay Corkhill got kidnapped. I fancied Barry Grant.

A bit of info i found.
                  The series began on the launch night of C 4 on 2 November 1982 and ran for 21 years until 4 November 2003. Originally intended to be called meadowcroft.

why did it end was it due to poor ratings.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    A bit of info i found.
                    The series began on the launch night of C 4 on 2 November 1982 and ran for 21 years until 4 November 2003. Originally intended to be called meadowcroft.

why did it end was it due to poor ratings.
                    The Wikipedia entry suggests the ratings slipped in the last few years.

One thing that put off many viewers was a murder mystery which took too long to resolve & even the writers kept changing their minds on whodunit.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

the last few years of the soap had some really bizarre stories that were so far fetched it was hard to stay focused and not start pressing buttons on the remote.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        The Wikipedia entry suggests the ratings slipped in the last few years.

One thing that put off many viewers was a murder mystery which took too long to resolve & even the writers kept changing their minds on whodunit.
                        well if the writers kept changing their minds it was sure going to be hard for viewers to understand.

over the yrs though it had some good stories.

remember the between the brother and sister you know that one.
                        ill bet it caused outrage.

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                          I always thought the vangelis track 'after the first embrace from you' sounded like the theme to brookside........you can actually sing the lyrics to the tune..........yes i know small minds and all that lol
                          It's funny you mention that, because I've always thought the intro to Jon & Vangelis's 'I Hear You Now' sounded like the Brookside theme as well. Steve Wright (I'm guessing not the DJ) produced the actual theme.

I'm not really a fan of soaps and have never watched any of them religiously (I don't watch any at all now), but if there used to be one soap I would dip in and out of, it was 'Brookside'. I liked the fact that the houses on the close were real, and the interior filming was actually done in the houses and not a studio set. Of course, storylines have a tendency to go over-the-top now and again, but I think that's true for all soaps, to avoid repitition of old storylines. If any of these soaps were totally realistic, almost nothing would happen at all.
                          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Awwww My one and ONLY soap I ever got into, loved watching the omnibus before going out on a Saturday night
                            and Although I put my hand up to being one of the many that lost interest in the stories I just wish they would release the whole shooting match on DVD

anyway, here's a link some of you might enjoy, you can stream some of the episodes to watch

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/brookside
                            DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                              Awwww My one and ONLY soap I ever got into, loved watching the omnibus before going out on a Saturday night
                              and Although I put my hand up to being one of the many that lost interest in the stories I just wish they would release the whole shooting match on DVD

anyway, here's a link some of you might enjoy, you can stream some of the episodes to watch

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/brookside
                              if i remember right the omnibus was on a saturday afternoon.
                              of course the omnibus was not every episode of that week in its entirety.

i think they only put in the main bits.

Comment

Working...
                              X