Anthea Turner show 80s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthea Turner show 80s?

Can anyone help me out with this one. Before Anthea Turner became famous with Blue Peter she did work on Satelite tv.

I have a vague memory doing a presenting role during kids tv time on Super Channel (probably in the region 1987-89)

On whatever show she was doing had this sort of "cool" look going on with blue jeans and black leather bikers jacket. I seem to remember rather than standing in front of camera she would be lounging on a big couch.

I'm almost certain it was for Super Channel. The weird thing is every time I see that cartoon cat "Garfield" (which isn't often these days I'll admit) I get a flashback to this image of her so it makes me think that whatever it was it was possibly links between daytime weekday kids shows.

Also for some weird reason I have the memory that DJ Bruno Brookes also hosted this show (maybe they did alternate dates?).

Bear in mind I might be wrong that it was even Anthea Turner (but I'm 90%+ sure it was her). I could be wrong about any many elements I've mentioned above but maybe there's enough half-facts above for you to help me out here.

==

However all that her wiki says she worked for sky 86-89 so maybe I'm confusing the memory of cartoon links with music video links and confusing Super with Sky? If so can any of you tell me what show she might have presented where she'd have worn that leather jacket look and sat lounging on a big couch?

Re: Anthea Turner show 80s?

hi mate did a bit of research for you.

was the show called up2u.
    it was a short lived saturday morning childrens show and was a flop, and is chiefly remembered for a motorcycle stunt that went wrong.
    Turner suffered burns and temporary hearing loss which led to her successful lawsuit against the BBC.
    this show was around 86.

the show might also have been But First This.
    Last edited by darren; 09-05-2012, 13:12.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

heres up2u

Heather

Comment

Thanks for your research work everyone. However I'm almost certain UP2U is not the show I'm looking for. The show I'm thinking of was either on Sky or Super channel (I'd say 80% Super) and I'm almost 100% certain it was weekdays (rather than Saturdays - as in the case of UP2U). The look of the show is as how I described earlier, very laid back.

Whatever it was I don't think the 'show' was probably anything more than presenting links between programs (or maybe videos?). So hosts riding around on roller-skates, features and outside broadcasts would have been far more than whatever I'm remembering had on offer.

Now, it could be that I'm wrong in thinking that Anthea Turner was even the host but I do remember when she first appeared on Blue Peter thinking "oh she's that host from that show I used to watch a few years earlier!". So it was either her (90% certain now) or someone who looked very like her.

Comment

Whilst I have this nagging feeling about Super Channel, from reading her wiki it seems my best shot is probably some music programme on Sky?

"Turner moved into television through
          Sky Channel presenting live music programmes from July 1986 to 1989"

Does anyone remember anything about any of these shows?

Comment

I wonder is its listed here http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/otherchann...erchannel.html If you scroll down to 1987 a show called supertime seems like it could fit the bill.
            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
              I wonder is its listed here http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/otherchann...erchannel.html If you scroll down to 1987 a show called supertime seems like it could fit the bill.
              Oh I've a really good feeling about that one! That's definitely closer. Fair play to you for finding that. The clip you linked is the intro credits only so there's nothing to confirm my memory, but that music and intro defo seems familiar to me.

Also from working off that lead I found this video.

http://wanttoworkintelevision.com/20...-and-music-tv/

She's not in that clip either but I vaguely remember that guy who is in the clip and the article mentions connections to Super Time Club and Anthea Turner. What grabbed my eye is the brief appearance of some Venetian Blinds on the set in that video. You see I'm almost 99% certain the show I remember had Venetian Blinds in the background too so it can't just be a coincidence. There's some connection there at least.

So this show "Super Time" looks like being the odds on favourite at this point. If only there was some footage to confirm it!

Comment

Working...
              X