Jangles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jangles

Anyone remember this tea time show in the 80s starring Hazel O'Connor as a teenage schoolgirl who sang in a club called Jangles - each episode featured a Hazel O song, and the story was narrated by a weird bloke with a painted new romantic/ Pierrot clown type face. Jesse Birdsall played Hazel O'connor's boyfriend - cant remember the character names unfortunately - and I remember one episode had her agonising over whether to go on the pill or not.
    I seem to remember it not actually being very good, but it was essential viewing for me as I was a massive Hazel fan back in the day (circa Breaking Glass and Sons & Lovers) - even if she was the oldest "teenager" I've seen outside of Grease!

Re: Jangles

tiny bit of info on the mail page http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/jangles
    Heather

Comment

I remember the strange narrator guy, but that's about all as I only ever saw trailers for it and never watched it myself.
      Didn't know that Hazel O'Connor was in it- I've actually spent an evening with her when she came to do a gig for our local Fringe Arts group, of which I was Secretary at the time. Reasonable enough girl, but completely self-obsessed and TOTALLY preoccupied with her Irishness- makes a HUGE deal out of it. We were with a black guitarist guy who is an old friend of hers- conversation was pretty well confined to the two of them, I was kept on the fringes of it. She gave me a hug when we parted company though.

Comment

Thats so funny - my sister went to see her a couple of years ago, and cos she remembered what a huge Hazel fan I was back in the 80s she bought a CD at the gig and got Hazel to autograph it for me - although I still play her first 2 albums regularly, I lost interest after the 3rd not very good one, but was vaguely aware she had gone a bit "folky". The CD my sis bought me was hilarious - it could have been a totally different singer, it was so over the top cliched diddly- diddly Oirish I couldn't believe it was her - she wasn't Oirish in Breaking Glass or Jangles, or interviews back in the day and she never used to sing like a bad Clannad parody! She has obviously decided to "cultivate" her roots - and to very inauthentic effect!

Comment

Working...
        X