Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Does anyone remember this sci-fi series from the 80's? Did you find it entertaining, or was it all a bit too Python-esque for your liking?
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I've liked the various version of this, radio, books, TV, even the film was good in places.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The tv version was great.It had such charm to it.To me it is still the definitive version of the story.The film for some reason dispite some really nice touches did not have the same impact as the tv one did.

Comment

The TV version also had most of the radio cast. It's a shame they didn't make more than 1 series. Supposedly the BBC kept Arthur's dressing gown for years in case another series was made.

Comment

I was asked recently to design a cover for a book about the number 42, because of it's connection with Douglas Adams. I hadn't seen 'Hitchhikers.....' when it was originally shown, but a friend lent me a couple of videos of it (to give me an idea of potential book cover illustrations I could try). I found it quite entertaining, and I planned to buy the series myself, although I never did.
          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

To me the TV version is definitive. Just a shame they didn't do the full 5 series trilogy, I might have had a better grasp of 'Bistromathics'. Then they could have done Starship Titanic as a spin off.

Comment

funny enough i loved python but never really saw this.
              it seeme to pass me by.
              but im sure id have liked it.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I wonder what gave Douglas Adams the idea that a computer would give the answer '42' when asked what was the answer to life, the universe and everything?
                "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Because the ultimate question was 'What do you get if you multiply six by seven?' perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Hair Bear View Post
                    Because the ultimate question was 'What do you get if you multiply six by seven?' perhaps?
                    I think it probably would have been that the computer would think life, the universe and everything were represented by three different numbers and 42 was either all three of them added together or the average.

Comment

I think Douglas Adams came up with a very original idea about Earth really being a computer which had been mistaken for a planet. It had been created by Deep Thought, the other computer, in order to find an answer to the ultimate question.
                      Speculation on how we all got here is a common theme of sci-fi; in the 'Doctor Who' adventure 'City of Death' life on Earth had got started by the radiation from an exploding Jagaroth spaceship.

Comment

Well, I just tried the phrase 'life the universe and everything' using the A1 cypher and came up with 330!
                        Anyone else got any bright ideas?

Comment

A great series and I loved it. Surprisingly the film remake of it wasn't too bad either. A great choice of Narrator in the form of Stephen Fry too.

There was rumours that the Band Level 42 got thier name from it aswell but it apparently turned out that there was a huge multi storey car park somewhere in America of which it's highest level was 42...

Ok, I'll go back to sleep now

Comment

Stephen Fry was a friend of Douglas Adams, they were the first 2 people in the UK to have Apple Macs.

Comment

There's someone here who's come up with a theory of how the number 42 was come up with, dunno if they're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmNizreNV4

Comment

Working...
                              X