Saturday Morning CBBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Morning CBBC

Who remembers the stuff the BBC used to show immediately before, what the Radio Times referred to as 'Childrens Magazine Show', Going Live? (or even Parallel 9!)

If, like me, you were up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning (despite not wanting to get out of bed weekdays for school!) you could see the likes of an old Flash Gordon serial with Buster Crabbe, the anthology series Breakfast Serials by Russell T Davies which mixed puppetry (Teapot, TinCan and Tomato who formed The Kitchen Crew) with silly comedy and a genuinely spooky thriller called Runners, The Racoons ('quiet, peaceful, serene...that is until Bert Racoon wakes up!') and Eggs 'n' Baker, a kitchen based show featuring former Bucks Fizz star and Record Breakers co-host Cheryl Baker.

I was actually reminded of Eggs 'n' Baker earlier today bumping into an old friend of my mum's; 'Your father in law was on Eggs 'n' Baker wasn't he?' I asked her, to her surprise. He was a long distance lorry driver who Cheryl cooked breakfast for in one item. Always remember that and, by association, always remember this woman for it too.

It was a strange show, Eggs 'n' Baker - aside from its atrocious title (surely Baker is enough of a cookery term as is, without having to resort to play on the word bacon? If there were 12 eps per series, they could have called it Baker's Dozen!) and cookery slant, Cheryl would introduce a range of bands who would perform in the studio. Being the late 80s and early 90s, the bands were very Baggy with the likes of Candyflip and even Blur (in their first TV appearance) performing. It was a world away from Bucks Fizz and this junior Baggy loved it. I seem to recall having a bit of a childish crush on Baker too - I was 9 I think when the show started.
    ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Re: Saturday Morning CBBC

IIRC Chucklevision started on Saturday mornings before Going Live!

This was back when the format was different, with Billy Bingham's Armchair Theatre & Simon Lovell's magic tricks as inserts, along with the McChuckle Brothers, who had a version of the theme played on the bagpipes.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes, they did indeed - can't believe I forgot Chucklevision!
      ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

YEP I REMEMBER EGGS AND BAKER WELL STARTED 1988 AND ENDED IN 1993.

WOW IS IT REALLY THAT LONG AGO IT STARTED.

DONT THINK THERE WHERE MANY COOKING SHOWS AROUND AT THAT TIME.

HERE IT IS.

https://youtu.be/BqHiut4efCU
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
        X