• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get some in 1975 comedy

ANYONE SAW OR REMEMBER THIS SHOW.

GET SOME IN.

Storyline

1955 called up into R.A.F. a group of young men find it hard to cope,especially with a corporal who is unhappy and takes it out on them.

Jakey Smith, a reformed teddy boy, is called up to national service in the mid-1950s along with three other young men from contrasting backgrounds.

First episode date: 16 October 1975

Final episode date: 18 May 1978

Number of episodes: 34

Number of seasons: 5

EPISODES HERE.

https://youtu.be/6QA2nOMPNRs

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Get some in 1975 comedy

An episode was seen on Christmas Day in 1992 which seems unbelievable considering the fact that I thought it had not been seen since the 1970s.

I don't really remember seeing an episode, but I assumed that it was a poor man's Dad's Army or something.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

All I remember about the show was the beginning when they utter 'GET SOME IN.'
      I do recall Citizen Smith however.

Comment

I'd forgotten about this till I saw this thread!

I deffo remember watching that as a family. No doubt my father found it most entertaining as he had to do national service and was a Teddy Boy in his youth. He was based in Germany and spent a portion of his time as a Drill Pig and in the Military Police, so he probably identified quite well with it all as his stories about his time in the service seem quite similar (although a bit less family tv viewing friendly).

No doubt the precursor to Citizen Smith, which we also watched and enjoyed as a family.

Comment

For some bizarre reason, this was popular at school - not with me, though...
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I've not seen it but the last season was apparently "tacked on" when the previous series had wrapped up most of the plot, & tellingly Jakey Smith was played by Karl Howman.

I did wonder why they chose the RAF, but I guess with Dad's Army & It Ain't Half Hot Mum being in the army & Warship the navy it was the only service left.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I loved that show!

I found Dad's Army to be over-rated and boring - and I still do.
              Forces TV was showing GSI last year.

Cprl Marsh: Name?
              Pvt Smith: Smiff. Sir
              Cprl Marsh: Is that with one F or two?
              Pvt Smith: Free, sir.

Comment

I have a vague memory of going to Blackpool (possibly Winter Gardens?) to see Get Some In on the stage in the 70's. I must have a look in my parent's place to see if the programme for the show is still there.

Comment

A couple of people have compared it to Dad's Army, but I think it was more ITV's response to the huge success that the BBC had with 'It ain't half hot Mum', but in any case, an equally poor comparison.

The thing I could never figure out was the title - Get some of what in where??

Comment

Never keen on dads army, did like get some in though

as for the title , the answer is in the theme tune!

Comment

In some ways it was a modern version of the Army Game, which also dealt with national servicemen being assigned to an odd outpost because the MOD had more manpower than it really needed.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember the episode with Brandy Di Frank as the stripper, always liked her!
                        JB

Comment

Working...
                        X