Why don't you ... ? Mid 70s theme tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't you ... ? Mid 70s theme tune

Anybody remember the show "Why don't You...?" in about 1975 or so. It was a long running show, but I'm specifically talking about that particular period.

Specifically, I would like to know about the theme tune. It had an instrumental theme. This was before the song. Does anyone know if it was a rendition of an existing tune, or was it original?

You can hear a brief part of the tune used in the end credits of a later episode here from about 53sec. I think when it was the main theme, it had slightly better instrumentation.

I know that it ran for a good 20 years until the mid 1990s (although they may have been repeats by then) - always seems to be a stalwart of school holiday morning TV on BBC 1 when children's programmes were on both sides albeit repeats and imports, only interrupted by sport, election coverage, strikes and Royal Weddings, and were often against Sesame Street or foreign cartoons on the other side.

I assume that the Birmingham gang represented the East Midlands as well? - it was a bit like a kids' version of Nationwide, sans the news?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I recognise the tune I think it was WDY? Specific and not a rendition of an existing tune .
      the main theme tune was burned so hard in to our memories that there’s no doubt that even without the lyrics, we’d know what it’s from . Not so much the closing tune but enough to spark the memory

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
        Anybody remember the show "Why don't You...?" in about 1975 or so. It was a long running show, but I'm specifically talking about that particular period.

Specifically, I would like to know about the theme tune. It had an instrumental theme. This was before the song. Does anyone know if it was a rendition of an existing tune, or was it original?

You can hear a brief part of the tune used in the end credits of a later episode here from about 53sec. I think when it was the main theme, it had slightly better instrumentation.

You mean the instrumental snippet played on a kazoo?
        Does sound familiar. Think it could be from some American musical from the 50s or 60s.

Comment

Found it - thanks to Google's "What's that tune" app.
          It wasn't originally from a musical, but was part of Dvořák's Symphony No.9 in E minor (1893). It has been used in a couple of movie soundtracks.
          Check out the melody from 4:23 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWpgWuUaU4

Comment

Also, did they always seem to make chocolate Rice Krispies/Cornflakes cakes in most episodes as part of their cooking slot, or was it something that I just seem to remember when it happened to be on?
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
              Found it - thanks to Google's "What's that tune" app.
              It wasn't originally from a musical, but was part of Dvořák's Symphony No.9 in E minor (1893). It has been used in a couple of movie soundtracks.
              Check out the melody from 4:23 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWpgWuUaU4

Brilliant. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X