Help identifying two late 1980’s - Kids TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying two late 1980’s - Kids TV Shows

It’s possible that neither show was UK-produced but both shows were certainly broadcast in the UK in the late 1980’s.

1. A series which featured a bearded narrator, sitting by the fireside and who introduced a story in each episode.

2. An episode which I believed to be from the Australian- Around The Twist series (but seemingly not) whereby a family win the lotto by means of inviting some sort of wish-maker/genie into their home only to subsequently offend it. In anger it eats the winning ticket at the celebration party, leaving the ungrateful family penniless.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by jaygon; 19-07-2022, 15:16.
    Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

1. Could be Puddle Lane.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Jackanory seemed to be an obvious guess, but apart from that, the bearded narrator could be Postman Pat author John Cunliffe when he presented Rosie and Jim?
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

'The StoryTeller' may be #1 - was about that time but sans beard.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Having watched a clip on YouTube, I do believe that the first series actually was Storyteller. The fireside and the dog confirm the memory. I can only assume the ‘bearded narrator’ to be a false memory or perhaps a hybrid-memory from the TV show Knightmare. But Storyteller is certainly the series which I had in mind.

The other series is really baffling. I have tried to remember a few more details though not much more to offer other than what has already been posted above :

A family experiences a spell of good luck having given refuge to a man with some sort of magical powers only to subsequently offend him and lose the fortune. In anger the man/genie/magician eats the family's winning lottery ticket, vanishing and leaving them penniless once again.
          I believe the genie/creature became angry with the family as it needed to be fed regularly ; hence it ate the lottery ticket in a rage once the family began neglecting it. This happened whilst the family were celebrating having just won a fortune with the ticket.
          Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as Gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Comment

This second of the two queries is still driving me nuts!!

I definitely saw the episode repeated more than once c. 1989-1991 and on a UK TV Channel. Hoping somebody might remember something!

Comment

Working...
            X