Television for the coming of age, 1996 style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television for the coming of age, 1996 style

If I was a gambling person, I would bet that not many people on here can recall what was on television on the day that they turned 18 without doing proper research like I have done. Mine was an almost ordinary day, not surprisingly to most other people: John Major was still Prime Minister; Bill Clinton was still in the White House; and Archbishop George Carey was still at Lambeth Palace. The Spice Girls were having their first number one with their first hit, Wannabe. And it cost a whopping £89.50 for a colour television licence so that I was legally allowed to mellow on whatever happened to be scheduled onto the small screen during this important time of change.

Television can really shape our lives - it can sometimes provide a diary or even a social commentary of what we did on the day that something was (originally) transmitted. News programmes, soap operas and music programmes can provide a "here and now" culture which almost cannot be matched with any other time in history. Likewise, most people can remember the day (and week) that they reached 18 and became an adult - something that one cannot forget in a hurry. I had to wait until May the following year to vote in an Election, but I do remember getting a Babycham-alike bottle off a family member (which I had kept in the fridge chilled and had not opened until just after midnight on New Year's Day 2000, nearly three and a half months later). I also spent an evening in that lesser-spotted place of celebration - a pub a mile or so away, and sampling something off their menu.

The penultimate day of August in 1996 was when a lot of things in British law changed from illegal to legal (although it had remained the same for most other people on that day). The day before, I had posted an application form for something that I would have been too young to take part in at the time of posting, but I would have legally allowed to participate by the time the form arrived at is destination. It was the day that I became an adult for the first time, and I was supposed to get used to "a new normal" (cf coronavirus in 2020). I thought that I would look into the archives at television programmes that were around at the same time as I had reached my 18th birthday, which in hindsight the nostalgia can be quite strong. Yes, I know that 1996 doesn't seem too long ago...

On my final day as a "cannot be named for legal reasons" person (a token newspaper catchphrase for anyone not quite 18, no doubt), Boyzone was on The Scoop (a short-lived Blue Peter tryout); I went to bed after a Big Break Trick Shot Special; a Freddie Starr Special (no hamsters thankfully), and a lesser-spotted Thursday repeat of Heartbeat (a new episode was on Sunday evenings), and went to bed. At around 5.10 am (if not midnight) the following morning, British law had suddenly changed in my favour and had given me the benefit of the doubt, and I woke up an adult for the first time. I was out most of the day, not surprisingly, but having a look at old TV guides, the television programmes that were to greet me (we didn't have satellite or cable in those days), you would have thought they would have made a better effort!

Highlights included Zoe Ball presenting her final Big Breakfast on Channel 4 as she was leaving to join BBC 1 as the new presenter of Live and Kicking. The annoying Alphabet Game (with the even more annoying "A-You're Adorable" theme tune) with Andrew O'Connor, an Objective production for BBC 1 at midday - having to think of answers starting with different letters of the alphabet in response to questions such as "things you do in the bath", and I seem to remember Nicholas Parsons and Jenny Powell were regulars on there as well. On the other side of the One O'clock News, a repeat of the Ronnie Corbett game show Small Talk (the Child's Play for the mid 1990s), followed by Lovejoy. A black and white Gary Cooper film, Blowing Wild, was on BBC 2. Thankfully, these were the days that programmes like This Morning were off the air and films were in their place - this was when ITV really did recognise school holidays in their scheduling.

Episode 1,945 of Home and Away was shown in the UK where we learn that Jesse has run away from the police; Stephanie's fake passport is discovered, and Alex is rushed to hospital - that was the combined synopsis gathered from TV guides on old British Newspaper Archive newspapers. Sadly, Angel Parrish did not appear in this particular episode according to the IMDB (pity), which is very ironic considering the fact the 2,000th episode of the soap opera was shown on this very day in Australia and was also Melissa George's final appearance - us Pommies got to see that particular episode in around October of that year. I cannot be too certain but Central viewers were probably still seeing Katrina Devine as Minnie Crozier in Shortland Street as well.

(Continued...)
    Last edited by George 1978; 28-01-2023, 07:09.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Thanks to YouTube, I have just watched that day's edition of the Early Evening News presented by John Suchet - the main headline was about police investigating the disappearance of two children off the Norfolk coast, were called to a remote shoreline when a child's body was discovered on a beach which was believed to be the missing girl Jodie Loughlin who was six (and I assume that Anglia News East also had that as their main headline at 6.30 pm) - she was found in Weybourne in Norfolk. In other news, doctors said that Frank Bruno could go blind if he took another punch in a boxing match; Bill Clinton, just a week and half from reaching a milestone birthday himself, set out plans for a second term in the White House (which he did win a few months later), ignoring the latest sex scandal which scarred his campaign - he didn't mention it in his keynote speech. French farmers demonstrated their anger at the Mad Cow crisis by herding their cattle to the Eifel Tower, following a 19 day march across France - a fourth farmer had died of the human equivalent of BSE.

Also in the news, The then Leader of the Opposition Tony Blair had stepped into the postal workers' dispute and appeared to distance himself from the union - he urged them to make sure that they had all the support of all their members; a convicted paedophile was alleged to have escaped while on a trip to Chessington World of Adventures. Northern Ireland's most senior Police Officer Ronnie Flanagan had enough on his plate, mentioning that the Royal Ulster Constabulary had been damaged by the pre-Good Friday Agreement marching season. In sport, the then most expensive footballer Alan Shearer said that he was delighted to have been made England's captain - England were to play Moldova in the World Cup qualifier on Sunday 1st September where the score was Moldova 0 England 3. Shearer himself scored at 61 minutes while Paul Gascoigne scored at 25 minutes and Nicky Barmby did the same two minutes earlier. Glenn Hoddle was the coach. Suchet reminds us that Trevor McDonald will be doing News at Ten as always as well as an update on the Norfolk beach news. And after that, Martyn Davies did the National Weather: it was to be cloudy in Scotland; patchy rain in Northern Ireland, and mostly dry with some sunshine in England. John Kettley did more or less the same thing that evening for BBC 1.

No Emmerdale on Friday evenings which meant that ITV had the "Bob's Full House of the 1990s" bingo game Lucky Numbers with Shane Richie and not Lene Lovich to kick off the evening's viewing - obviously, benefiting from the sub-National Lottery gambling liberation of the mid 1990s - one Friday 7.00 pm stalwart, Bruce Forsyth, could be seen in the ad breaks for Courts furniture superstores. However, on BBC 1, Top of the Pops was in full motion - Simon Mayo presented, and one could have heard incumbent chart hits from the likes of Shed Seven with On Standby; George Michael with Spinning The Wheel; MN8 with Tuff Act To Follow; REM with E Bow The Letter; Louise (ex-Eternal) with Undivided Love; Jamiroquai with Virtual Insanity; and of course, the Spice Girls' first number one hit, Wannabe. Geri, Emma, Victoria and the two Mels really had an impression on me back then, and they were probably it was the strongest memory of my Coming of Age period just like a lot of other people going into the autumn of 1996. I had never heard of Girl Power prior to the summer of 1996 to be honest.

And then switching over to episode 4,059 of Coronation Street: nothing much to write home about in this episode apart from the fact that future MP and Mayor Tracy Brabin was still in the series and that her stereotyped sub-"Cathy Come Home" character Tricia feels that she's got nothing to look forward to in life, and she wants to get word to Terry Duckworth. One character I do remember from this time was the strawberry blonde Claire Palmer played by Maggie Norris (cf Only Fools and Horses, Doctors, etc) - she was the new partner of Des Barnes and had daughter Becky in tow (played by Emily Aston - cf Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, etc). Claire did feel to me like a hussy character on screen, wearing her white nightshirt in "first thing in the morning" scenes and doing a "Sharon Stone" in a chair in the following Monday's episode (4,060) during a storyline about a pot plant. It's probably a relief that Norris wasn't in the series for no more than just under a year. The opposition on BBC 1 was a sub-Tomorrow's World documentary about immortals.

Other delights to look forward to include The Bill who was waiting for Frank Burnside; repeats of One Foot in the Grave on BBC 1; Gardeners' World and Bottom on BBC 2, Michael Aspel on ITV (with a double helping on LWT thanks to a post-News at Ten showing of something else that he also appeared in); and Friends was The One with the Lesbian Wedding. The next day had a repeat of the 1987 series of Grange Hill from around the time of Imelda's expulsion and Mr Scott's almost nervous breakdown. Boyzone appearing on the Andi Peters vehicle The Noise. In the evening, a repeat of Casualty (Night Moves, a final episode of the series repeat from February), guest-starring Freddie "Parrot Face" Davies, practically playing himself in the episode, and also guest-starring Jodie Hanson (Marianne Dwyer from Brookside) playing a chauffeur driver, getting out of the driver's seat of car as if she was doing modelling for Pretty Polly - she dies, unfortunately. And "Sharon Stone" appeared on Monday evening.

Our 18th birthdays need to be documented as they are important stepping stones in our lives, and in particular, the social and cultural aspect of that time needs to be acknowledged as well. My own moment coincided with such a huge cultural statement be it the Spice Girls and Girl Power and other things happening at that time in history - we cannot go back to them. Does anyone remember their 18th birthday?

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I was 18 on the 16th of Match 1996 so have similar memories. At the time the Dunblane Massacre was still featuring in the headlines.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
      X