Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying TV movie or TV show late 70s - late 80s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying TV movie or TV show late 70s - late 80s.

Hi everyone. I've been trying to figure this one out for years.

It was either a TV movie or an episode of some sort, possibly a family-oriented production, because I remember it being fairly lighthearted right up to the last scene, which was truly bizarre, if I'm remembering it correctly.

The movie/show was about an old wanderer /hermit of some sort, kinda like Grizzly Adams, but older and tamer. It took place in the mountains. I seem to remember it being a family show due to the light tone, and I think I recall humorous moments throughout, but then the end came out of nowhere. The old man is looking over a mountain scene, possibly fields or foothills, and there are slaughtered animals (possibly sheep or goats) lying everywhere. I remember there being blood on the animals, although my mind might be playing tricks on me. There is a helicopter (or helicopters), and men on the scene. I remember at least one helicopter hovering, while men were spread out over the hilly environment. I can't remember whether they had guns and were hunters or poachers who had killed the animals or whether they were there to help in some way. They may have been military people of some sort, because they seemed well equipped to be flying the helicopters. There may have been ropes and harnesses, but that may not be true. In any case, I remember the look on the old man's face, and he was clearly devastated by what he saw. It was a real downer of an ending.

If I remember correctly, it was probably a TV movie or an episode of some sort, possibly for children, but the only reason I say that is that it was broadcast during the day, early 90s. It stuck me as strange that something so gruesome would be broadcast during the day, but then again, I was probably around 11 when I saw it, so my mind might be playing tricks on me. What is certain, is that the ending seemed to be at odds with the rest of the episode, and it has stuck with me for about 30 years!!! Judging by the scenery of the outdoors setting, and also because there were quite a lot of environmental awareness TV shows and films being released in Canada in that era, it may have been Canadian or US, although this is obviously a guess.

Sorry about the scant details, it's been a looong time since I saw it. Thanks in advance!!!

Hmmm.... could it be one of the trio of 1970s "Adventures of the Wilderness Family" movies?
    There's also Alaska (1996), featuring poachers and a helicopter, in which Charlton Heston played the bearded old guy, but the animals were Polar bears and that was too recent, based on your description.

Comment

Could this be Close Encounters Of The Third Kind?

It's been a while since I saw it. I don't quite remember how closely it matches.

The plot involved the government evacuating a wide area, with a cover story of a release of nerve gas.
      Plenty of helicopters patrolling the area. The main character tries to enter the area, climbing over hills.

That much I remember. I think there was a shot of dead sheep. Not quite sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
        Hmmm.... could it be one of the trio of 1970s "Adventures of the Wilderness Family" movies?
        There's also Alaska (1996), featuring poachers and a helicopter, in which Charlton Heston played the bearded old guy, but the animals were Polar bears and that was too recent, based on your description.
        I thought the same thing and I had a look at one of the Adventures of the Wilderness Family movies a couple of years ago, but it wasn't the one. You're definitely on the right track though, as those films have the vibe. After reading your comment I think I might go and thoroughly look at the other ones!

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
          Could this be Close Encounters Of The Third Kind?

It's been a while since I saw it. I don't quite remember how closely it matches.

The plot involved the government evacuating a wide area, with a cover story of a release of nerve gas.
          Plenty of helicopters patrolling the area. The main character tries to enter the area, climbing over hills.

That much I remember. I think there was a shot of dead sheep. Not quite sure of that.
          Awesome movie, and yeah, there are plenty of dead sheep in a scene in the beginning, but that's not the one. Thanks anyway!

Comment

Working...
          X