Childrens TV Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens TV Programs

In the 80's the BBC bought a bunch of german TV shows for children that were dumbed into English. They were usualy 12 part mini series.

This one started with the distirbing scene of some canisters being transported to or from a mountain base through a village. One of the canister falls and the contents leak out kill everyone in the village by freezing them.

Something like that. I think the plot was about a weapon in a war that would fire this freezing chemical at the enemy and a group trying to stop it.

Anyone know what I'm on about???
    Last edited by barbary; 20-01-2008, 19:42.

Re: Childrens TV Programs

The Last train?

Comment

I've tried looking the last train up on imdb I can't find anything that matchs my discription.

Comment

I think Sixty is right, try here
        http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susa...v/lasttran.htm
        Heather

Comment

Hmmm not so sure Hev. This was a series for adults and was not dubbed ! I remember watching it.
          Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
          <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
            Oh no it's certainly not that. Maybe me talking about Chemicals weapons made you think of the future. If anything it was set in the early 1900's I think it was supposed to be set in world war I.
            Last edited by barbary; 21-01-2008, 16:24.

Comment

It was The Secret of Steel city

TV Cream says.. CZECH/BULGARIAN DRAMA defects to the west and gets dubbed for its troubles. Well, not "dubbed" as such, rather "lectured". As the foreign actors went through their paces, we were told what was going on by plummy-voiced narrator. If you listened carefully, you could just make out faint dialogue in the mother tongue of wherever it was. Bundled out, unbelievably, in the hallowed Wednesday 5:10pm slot. Plot concerned two neighbouring cities, Steel City and Fortuna, separated by a river (and ideologies) in a poverty-stricken Eastern Bloc country. Steel City (grey and industrial) develop a "freeze" weapon with which to oppress Fortuna (probably a nicer place to bring up your children). Metaphor for the Cold War/Iron Curtain, anyone? Opening scenes see a fleeing Steel City worker being shot as he swam the river. "The secret of Steel City died with that man" laments our narrator. But all is not lost. Fortuna send over their own spy who discovers the weapon and probably saves the day, ending with closer ties between Steel City and Fortuna.
              Last edited by sixtyten; 21-01-2008, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Sixtyten View Post
                It was The Secret of Steel city

TV Cream says.. CZECH/BULGARIAN DRAMA defects to the west and gets dubbed for its troubles. Well, not "dubbed" as such, rather "lectured". As the foreign actors went through their paces, we were told what was going on by plummy-voiced narrator. If you listened carefully, you could just make out faint dialogue in the mother tongue of wherever it was. Bundled out, unbelievably, in the hallowed Wednesday 5:10pm slot. Plot concerned two neighbouring cities, Steel City and Fortuna, separated by a river (and ideologies) in a poverty-stricken Eastern Bloc country. Steel City (grey and industrial) develop a "freeze" weapon with which to oppress Fortuna (probably a nicer place to bring up your children). Metaphor for the Cold War/Iron Curtain, anyone? Opening scenes see a fleeing Steel City worker being shot as he swam the river. "The secret of Steel City died with that man" laments our narrator. But all is not lost. Fortuna send over their own spy who discovers the weapon and probably saves the day, ending with closer ties between Steel City and Fortuna.

YES THAT IS IT THANKS

Funny I was just reading another review of that show and it said it was a laser. I think it was a laser in the book. It has to be the show. I was very young when I watched it. Clearly back then the BBC thought people being frozen to death was exceptable viewing for children.

Comment

Maybe they are confusing it with OSKAR, KINA AND THE LASER another late 70's dubbed show

Comment

Yes well done Daz - it was a very tricky one, that !
                    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                    <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Hi yes I think I remember such a program, it was kind of set maybe in prussia or the Hapsburgh empire just before world war 1. it was quite atmospheric.

Is there anywhere you can get a copy of Secret of Steel city/

Comment

Working...
                      X