X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obscure Saturday morning TV show in the year 1990

Any help guys?

This one is driving me up the wall..!

I’m trying to remember a TV show (or TV segment) from years 1989-1991. I was seven to nine years old, and I remember regularly waking up early and running into the lounge and turning on the old Mitsubishi wooden TV. It was either Saturday morning, or during the summer school holidays. I was awake and was hoping to see some cartoons and stuff like that. British TV programming didn’t start until 6am or 7am back then, and this was around the time I used to wake up.

Anyway, the TV show (or segment) I remember was a strange one. I don’t think it was aimed at kids. I think it may have been a comical thing for adults, but I’m not really sure. There are two parts to this that I remember, but I’m not even sure if they were to do with the same show!

Firstly, I remember seeing a room with a table in the middle, a bit like a police interview room. All the walls were grey, and I think there was a window on one of the walls. There were a couple of characters sat at the table talking. There was a third character stood at the back wall by the window, but all you could see was his legs, because he was really tall… I mean, Guinness Book Record tall! This is what has lead me to believe that the “show” was a comedy, because it looked quite comical with how you could only see the actors legs. I’m pretty sure that the other characters made a point of the man being really tall. This man never spoke, he just stood there, in the background with his legs on show (wearing brown trousers and shoes).

The second thing I remember happened towards the end of the live action part. A picture would come up on the screen, of the face of a smiling cartoon man. There were words on the screen, and I’m pretty sure there was someone narrating those words too.

The cartoon man looked reminiscent of a 1950’s pop-art style painting. I’m sure his name was “Mr. Nice Guy”, or something like that. However, on one occasion, this cartoon character wasn’t smiling anymore. He was annoyed about something, and he looked angry. His eyebrows moved into the angry type, and came down into a point above each eye. I’m pretty sure that his eyebrows were moving slightly, and his eyes may have been flashing red too. The narrator then relayed what was written on the screen, and he said something like “No more Mr. Nice Guy”. This really freaked me out as a kid, because up until now, the cartoon man was always smiling.

I’ve tried looking on the internet for TV shows on Saturday mornings during 1990. I can’t find anything, which is making me believe is was a TV segment or TV sketch, which was part of a longer show.

TV Mayhem used to be shown on TV during this time, and I remember watching this, along with its cartoons and programmes shortly after the aforementioned show. The ones I remember vividly included Alvin and the Chipmunks, Top Banana, Dink the Little, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Barbar and Captain Planet and the Planeteers.

Any help would be much appreciated

Originally posted by TubThumper View Post
    Any help guys?

This one is driving me up the wall..!

I’m trying to remember a TV show (or TV segment) from years 1989-1991. I was seven to nine years old, and I remember regularly waking up early and running into the lounge and turning on the old Mitsubishi wooden TV. It was either Saturday morning, or during the summer school holidays. I was awake and was hoping to see some cartoons and stuff like that. British TV programming didn’t start until 6am or 7am back then, and this was around the time I used to wake up.

Anyway, the TV show (or segment) I remember was a strange one. I don’t think it was aimed at kids. I think it may have been a comical thing for adults, but I’m not really sure. There are two parts to this that I remember, but I’m not even sure if they were to do with the same show!

Firstly, I remember seeing a room with a table in the middle, a bit like a police interview room. All the walls were grey, and I think there was a window on one of the walls. There were a couple of characters sat at the table talking. There was a third character stood at the back wall by the window, but all you could see was his legs, because he was really tall… I mean, Guinness Book Record tall! This is what has lead me to believe that the “show” was a comedy, because it looked quite comical with how you could only see the actors legs. I’m pretty sure that the other characters made a point of the man being really tall. This man never spoke, he just stood there, in the background with his legs on show (wearing brown trousers and shoes).

The second thing I remember happened towards the end of the live action part. A picture would come up on the screen, of the face of a smiling cartoon man. There were words on the screen, and I’m pretty sure there was someone narrating those words too.

The cartoon man looked reminiscent of a 1950’s pop-art style painting. I’m sure his name was “Mr. Nice Guy”, or something like that. However, on one occasion, this cartoon character wasn’t smiling anymore. He was annoyed about something, and he looked angry. His eyebrows moved into the angry type, and came down into a point above each eye. I’m pretty sure that his eyebrows were moving slightly, and his eyes may have been flashing red too. The narrator then relayed what was written on the screen, and he said something like “No more Mr. Nice Guy”. This really freaked me out as a kid, because up until now, the cartoon man was always smiling.

I’ve tried looking on the internet for TV shows on Saturday mornings during 1990. I can’t find anything, which is making me believe is was a TV segment or TV sketch, which was part of a longer show.

TV Mayhem used to be shown on TV during this time, and I remember watching this, along with its cartoons and programmes shortly after the aforementioned show. The ones I remember vividly included Alvin and the Chipmunks, Top Banana, Dink the Little, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Barbar and Captain Planet and the Planeteers.

Any help would be much appreciated
    The show was called Breakfast Serials, with the cartoon man who came to life called Nicechap.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

The show was called Breakfast Serials, with the cartoon man who came to life called Nicechap.
      Oh, thanks Richard1978!

God, this has been driving me up the wall for years! Wasn’t sure if I dreamt this or not, because everyone I asked didn’t have a clue!

just watched some clips on YouTube and I vividly remember Nicechap; howerever, I can’t remember the other characters, especially the talking teapot, tin can and tomato! You would have thought that a child would remember that as opposed to the Nicechap character! But yeah, well done for figuring out what I was trying to say!

Cheers
      Last edited by TubThumper; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TubThumper View Post

Oh, thanks Richard1978!

God, this has been driving me up the wall for years! Wasn’t sure if I dreamt this or not, because everyone I asked didn’t have a clue!

just watched some clips on YouTube and I vividly remember Nicechap; howerever, I can’t remember the other characters, especially the talking teapot, tin can and tomato! You would have thought that a child would remember that as opposed to the Nicechap character! But yeah, well done for figuring out what I was trying to say!

Cheers
        I wasn't sure what I was for years until I heard it mentioned somewhere online.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
        X