Help identifying a few memories of Armchair Thriller-type episodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying a few memories of Armchair Thriller-type episodes

For the last 45 or so years I've had a few memories of scenes from some 1970's TV shows that I'd desrly love to identify, if anyone can help. I was perhaps 7-9 years old when I saw them, and I've a feeling they were perhaps from something like Armchair Thriller or something similar as they were always on in our house. I'd dated them as between 1973 - 1977. 1) scene where a man goes into a basement of a house, and finds a small kiln, with a window at the front. He peers inside. In the kiln is a clay head being fired, slowly revolving. It's eyes suddenly open to startle the man! 2) scene where a young man wakes in bed. Upon opening his eyes he is startled. When the camera cuts to a long shot, we see there is a large statue on his bed, the type that usually adorn graves. 3) a young woman had dreamed several times of a house. When she discovers the house actually exists, she finds the house and we see her walking inside the house, across the balistrade overlooking the stairs. I realise there's not much to go on, but those scenes have stuck in my head for decades, and I'd love to find out what they were, in the hope of seeing the scenes again after so long. Huge thanks if anyone can help, thank you.

Could it be this?

Won't write Home Mom. i'm Dead 1975

https://cult-tv-lounge.blogspot.com/...m-im-dead.html

Go to 50.40 for kiln scene

Scene 3 you describe could be S6.E1 Sleepwalker

Thriller 1973-1976 full list of episodes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164295/episodes/?season=1
    Heather

Comment

Spooky!

Comment

Yes, you are absolutely right! Thank you so much. Even though I remember it being a man, that is 100% the kiln scene. And yes, the Sleepwalker episode is what I remember, with the lady wandering around the stairs and balistrade. I checked the dates, and it must be 49 years since I saw these scenes, so it's amazing to see them again and be able to let those memories go! Thanks again.

Comment

You are welcome, it's funny how our minds can change memories slightly over the years
          Heather

Comment

Hi. I believe the answer to your number 2 question is Penda's Fen. A 1974 play for today classic by Alan Clarke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penda%27s_Fen

Comment

Originally posted by ledjarde View Post
              a young woman had dreamed several times of a house. When she discovers the house actually exists, she finds the house and we see her walking inside the house, across the balistrade overlooking the stairs.
              That's sounds like the Agatha Christie novel Sleeping Murder.

The plot involves a woman who has a sense of deja vu after she moves into a new house. She gets a visions of seeing a woman murdered from the top of a staircase.

It turns out that she had lived in the house as a toddler, and actually witnessed a murder, but has repressed the memory.

It's been filmed twice, in 1987 with Joan Hickson, and 2006 with Geraldine McEwan. A bit later than you remember.

Some information here. See 1m 45s for the scene at the top of the stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Havok View Post
                Hi. I believe the answer to your number 2 question is Penda's Fen. A 1974 play for today classic by Alan Clarke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penda%27s_Fen
                Hi, thank you so much, yes you are right! I looked up some clips on youtube and there is the scene I remember, 49 years ago! Thank you!

Comment

Armchair Thriller and Armchair Theatre were two different programmes, I assume? I vaguely remember one or two of them repeated in the afternoon during the early to mid 1980s, with a "night-time" Thames ident at the beginning, as it was shown at 9.00 pm originally? I believe that they were repeated during the school holidays, hence myself seeing them back then.

The opening titles were an animated armchair catching fire (looking so scary to someone like myself back then). Ironically, I have just seen a PIF about lit cigarettes on airchairs on YouTube which looks similar to the opening titles.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                  X