Show about Rock Star with Kiss-like make-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show about Rock Star with Kiss-like make-up

I posted this on the Movies forum the other month and still haven't identified it; I saw this on TV in the mid-80s and assumed it was probably a movie but now I think it might have been an episode of a TV show, so I thought I'd give it another go on this forum:

It was about a rock star who was in danger of some sort. I don't remember his name but he wore Kiss-type make-up with white face paint, deep red lipstick and long wild hair. The opening scene was of him performing with his band, the backing members also wore similar make-up. A later scene had him lying on an inflatable bed floating on a swimming pool in front of a crowd, IIRC something hit him and knocked him into the water, and a woman dived into the pool to rescue him, there were scenes shot underwater of her saving him and bringing him back up. Then there was a later scene with some men finding a scary recorded message on a tape recorder with a deep voice saying "(someone- can't remember the name but presumably the rock star) WILL DIE!" I was enjoying this but don't think I got to see it through to the end.

Someone suggested on the other forum that it might have been the Kiss movie but I checked that out on YouTube and it definitely isn't it. It had a serious tone rather than comedy/cheese and had the feel of a late 70s/early 80s drama-type show, i.e. The Six Million Dollar Man or The Fall Guy. I'd definitely appreciate any help as I remember enjoying this and would like to get hold of it if possible.

Re: Show about Rock Star with Kiss-like make-up

There was an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam Beckett leapt into the body of the singer in a KISS-style rock group. Not sure about the other bits, though.

Comment

According to the episode guide, that episode was called "Glitter Rock".
      And does sound like the OP was looking for

Comment

It's not that I'm afraid, interestingly enough a mate of mine mentioned that episode the other day when I was telling him about the show I'm looking for, but that definitely isn't it because it was made too late... I saw the show/film I'm looking for in about 1985 or 86 so it's at least half a decade earlier than Quantum Leap.

Definitely the same kind of plot idea though. Looked at the episode grabs online and it looks like it may have been inspired by whatever it was that I saw.

It seems the theme of 'make-up wearing Rock star in danger' was quite a common subject for prime-time drama shows throughout the 70s-90s, even The Incredible Hulk has one episode of that nature, so it's just a matter of finding which one it was that I saw as a kid (I haven't ruled out that it may have been a movie rather than a TV episode either).

Comment

Originally posted by BlitzKid View Post
          I posted this on the Movies forum the other month and still haven't identified it; I saw this on TV in the mid-80s and assumed it was probably a movie but now I think it might have been an episode of a TV show, so I thought I'd give it another go on this forum:

It was about a rock star who was in danger of some sort. I don't remember his name but he wore Kiss-type make-up with white face paint, deep red lipstick and long wild hair. The opening scene was of him performing with his band, the backing members also wore similar make-up. A later scene had him lying on an inflatable bed floating on a swimming pool in front of a crowd, IIRC something hit him and knocked him into the water, and a woman dived into the pool to rescue him, there were scenes shot underwater of her saving him and bringing him back up. Then there was a later scene with some men finding a scary recorded message on a tape recorder with a deep voice saying "(someone- can't remember the name but presumably the rock star) WILL DIE!" I was enjoying this but don't think I got to see it through to the end.

Someone suggested on the other forum that it might have been the Kiss movie but I checked that out on YouTube and it definitely isn't it. It had a serious tone rather than comedy/cheese and had the feel of a late 70s/early 80s drama-type show, i.e. The Six Million Dollar Man or The Fall Guy. I'd definitely appreciate any help as I remember enjoying this and would like to get hold of it if possible.
          Hi BlitzKid. This is my first post on this excellent forum, and I'm delighted to solve your mystery for you.

It's a season 6 episode of 'CHiPs' called Rock Devil Rock http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0534511/.
          YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYf0ByjfEDo.

Hope this takes you back!

Comment

Yay!!

Comment

Originally posted by NostalgiaGuy View Post
              Hi BlitzKid. This is my first post on this excellent forum, and I'm delighted to solve your mystery for you.

It's a season 6 episode of 'CHiPs' called Rock Devil Rock http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0534511/.
              YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYf0ByjfEDo.

Hope this takes you back!
              Awesome, THANK YOU!!!!! I Love You!!!!!!!!! You've solved a 25-year mystery for me, and I loved watching the above video!!!

So amusing how I completely missed the pure comedy tone of the episode when I was a kid... And I didn't even know what Satan or Hell were at the time (I was about 4) so the imagery definitely stayed with me!

Got to track down the full episode now so I can watch the entire thing!!! Thanks again so much, and welcome to the forums, you've made a great start!!!

Comment

You're very welcome, BlitzKid. it's a pleasure to help!

Comment

Working...
                X