shows on in the summer hols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JM28Cardiff
    I used to like "Just for the record", an Aussie version of record breakers.

A sick, sick, sick cartoon used to be on as well, Ox tails.
    WOW, i thought i was the only one who remebers that just for a record show, ive been searching for that theme tune everywhere but it doesnt seem to exist on the internet.

I also remember Vikki the viking and the wide awake club.

Comment

Re: shows on in the summer hols

I remember a show when my lads were little called "Why don't you turn off the TV and go and do something less boring instead" or "Why don't you....." for short.
      It was presented by kids aged about 10 or 11 and they showed you how to do things and make things.
      The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

I remember why dont you the kids usually came from Belfast or Newcastle and it was shown at 9.30 in the 6 weeks holiday after the pink panther show, one of them idiots Ant or Dec were in it too, Watch wasnt too bad i have a episode somewhere with David and Goliath on it.

Comment

Here's a listing from August 1978
          http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-553.html
          ,compared to nowadays even in the Summer hols there was only a few hours of kids tv all day,but there again we were never in much anyway!

Comment

I'm surprised no-one's yet mentioned 'The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn and his Friends' - the first programme I thought of when I saw this thread. It always seemed to be shown only during school summer holiday mornings, and had a catchy theme song and that view over the back of the Mississippi Paddle Steamer under the closing credits.

I remember once watching 'Why Don't You?' when they addressed their 'switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead' issue, when they mentioned a letter someone had written to them, claiming they had done just that and gone swimming. The WDY team explained they meant that you should do that AFTER the show.
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn and his Friends seem to be a backbone of BBC holidays schedules for years, along with The Pink Panther Show & WDY.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper68 View Post
                ,compared to nowadays even in the Summer hols there was only a few hours of kids tv all day,but there again we were never in much anyway!
                I remember watching TV that night! Sad but true!

Comment

Aye Huck Finn sprang immediately to my mind , along with Heidi and Take Hart with the late great Tony Hart. Kids will never have the same look on the holiday tv as we all do now as there are so many channels to watch. In our day there was 3 at best and that would only be for 2 hrs a day at most and you would be chuffed if a programme was running late so the announcer would announce a 5 min cartoon to bridge the gap in between.

Comment

My favourite was The Flashing Blade about the French and Spanish fighting a war, not sure which one. Foreign TV dubbed, quite badly into English

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper68 View Post
                      I realise this will just sound like an old man reply but wouldn't TV be so much better if things did closedown in the morning and the afternoon and kids TV was just on in the post-coming-from-school-until-tea time? Just what good does having the current daytime TV achieve? What good does pushing kids TV over to their own channels actually do? It seems that hardly any of the gazillions of satellite channels have any money to make decent new programming so all you get is endless repeats of the things that were on terrestial channels, anyway.

Of course I know the answer - money. *sigh*

Would that we could just go back to a handful of channels that everyone can get so that license fee/advertising money would be enough for making half-decent stuff to watch. But then again, what would kids do with only a few hours of stuff to watch on the hols. It's not like we let them out to 'play outside' anymore.

Comment

The Flashing Blade
                        Why Dont You
                        Flash Gordon (on BBC in the mid 70s on Saturday morning)
                        The Whirly Birds (same as)
                        Champion the Wonder Horse (same as)
                        Tiswas
                        Fireball XL5
                        Stingray
                        Tarzan (late 1960s colour series)
                        The Double Deckers
                        The Tomorrow People
                        For a local history website with lots of photos and videos from the 1970s, 1980s and earlier goto

Comment

"Why Dont You" I remember this in the mid seventies! Mainly hosted by Scottish children and it had a different theme tune to the later version of the programme. I seem to recall a dalmation dog running across a field and jumping a gate?

Anyway, one day they made an Edible Pastry Stained Glass Window? I was, and still am enthralled by what they did.

You get a baking sheet, lightly greased onto which you put strips of shortcrust pastry in the shape of a gothic arch stained glass window shape, then in the window of pastry you sprinkle sweets that you have crushed up in a bag with a rolling pine and then bake till the sweets melt, hey presto a beautiful edible stained glass window!

1974 I think - does anyone else remember this?

Comment

Somebody somewhere's had the decency to remember a BELTER of a pupper show..... STAR FLEET!!!
                            Oh yeah:-
                            Thunderbirds 2086 (SOMEBODY MUST remember this!!)
                            Battle Of The Planets
                            Vikki the Viking
                            Masters of The Universe
                            Misterjaw/Hoot Kloot/The Tijuana Toads
                            The Groovy Ghoulies
                            The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn

But what do they do now?
                            This Morning
                            The Jeremy Kyle Show
                            Some celebrity chef
                            How much his your house/painting from the attic worth?
                            Last edited by vanhelsing; 03-11-2010, 19:44.
                            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

It's funny that I was thinking of Star Fleet a few days ago. Really gripping & sometimes quite sinister at times.

Me & my brother really got into it when Granada showed in on Sunday mornings around 1982-3.

We both also liked Battle Of The Planets, which also could be creepy, even with the chopping & changing by Sandy Frank.

I remember all the other shows you listed, some better than others.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I agree with Wil that with kids tv nowadays its quantity rather than quality

Comment

Working...
                                X