Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top of the Pops

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
    Was just saying to my wife a couple of days ago that not being allowed to listen to the radio at work TOTP was how I used to keep track of the best new songs in the charts. These days I haven't a clue!!
    what shows are there now that show new talent.
    oh yes x factor does.

thing is with it the better singers get voted off early.
    see its not about the best singers its about the people who have had a tough time in life.
    britains got talent actually is about people with talent e it singing,dancing, animal acts etc.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Stopped watching it in the early nineties because it lost its way. They changed its format, with bands singing live and new bands, it was never quite as good as the 1970s and 1980s.

Then stopped listening to the charts in 1997 because I was fed up with unknown bands going straight in at number one, and I think Westlife had about their fifth number one in a row with another dodgy cover version. The charts mean nothing nowadays.

I still keep up with some chart hits because I watch the music channels on satellite and I listen to Radio One in the mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by Techno View Post
        Stopped watching it in the early nineties because it lost its way. They changed its format, with bands singing live and new bands, it was never quite as good as the 1970s and 1980s.

Then stopped listening to the charts in 1997 because I was fed up with unknown bands going straight in at number one, and I think Westlife had about their fifth number one in a row with another dodgy cover version. The charts mean nothing nowadays.

I still keep up with some chart hits because I watch the music channels on satellite and I listen to Radio One in the mornings.

do you ever watch totp 2 mate.

Comment

Can't find much footage with Sir Jimmy Saville, who hosted the first & last show. They need to bring it back before he passes on.
          However, I found this one with Noel Edmonds and a performance of Kung-Fu Fighting, a favourite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiLZ8...e_gdata_player

Sent from my iPod

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            do you ever watch totp 2 mate.
            I used to enjoy it but as others have said it isn't on much anymore. I've got the vintage channels on satellite though, that keeps me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
              M'lud, I present exhibit A...

This countdown has some real classics in it. The charts are rubbish now and I don't think it is just me getting old. I kept up with the charts religiously until about 1994, then I still kept listening to chart music (with gradual slippage) until about 2004 but the rot was setting in and then I never bothered. Too much rap and bad R'n'B and rubbish dance music. Now I stick with the oldies.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
                M'lud, I present exhibit A...

Ah thanks for that Stockportyears, a real blast from the past.I enjoyed that

Comment

Just heard on Chris Moyles this morning that the music industry may go back to releasing a track the same day as promotion starts. This might mark a return to the days when tracks had to climb the charts and very few tracks went straight in at number one.

The practice at the moment is to promote a track for weeks before it is released. They do this to get the maximum number of sales in the first week, and try to maximise the chance of a number one in the first week.

Comment

Next Friday (1st April) BBC4 are having a Top of the Pops evening covering the period 1964 to 1976, including a full episode of the show from 1976 with Abba, the Brotherhood of Man, the Beatles, Fox, John Miles, Diana Ross and Sailor
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

The reason why TOTP went down the pan was the pop music of the 90's was garbage. Countless boy bands sat on stools spoiling songs from the past with covers and faceless dance acts that were not interesting to watch.

The youth of the past made TOTP what it was back then. The youth of the 90's destroyed it by letting men in suits hoodwink them into buying into manufactured tat that deserves to be put in some history landfill.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                        The reason why TOTP went down the pan was the pop music of the 90's was garbage. Countless boy bands sat on stools spoiling songs from the past with covers and faceless dance acts that were not interesting to watch.

The youth of the past made TOTP what it was back then. The youth of the 90's destroyed it by letting men in suits hoodwink them into buying into manufactured tat that deserves to be put in some history landfill.
                        thing was with totp it was great for gibing new artists a chance.
                        .it got them noticed.

instead now we have x factor.

Comment

Working...
                        X