Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: Things just ain't what they use to be!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,827

    Default Things just ain't what they use to be!

    The term 'If it ain't broke dont fix it' springs to mind here!

    We had some fabulous wrappers,packaging and brand names back in the day, so why change them?
    Chocolates and Sweet have even shrunk. Its an outrage. Dont you agree?


    Huggie74


    Quote Originally Posted by RetroAEROSMITH View Post
    Strange thing is though all these companies bragging about their high cocoa content such as Lindt...I dont like the chocolate. Its terrible. There is nothing better than the taste of cadburys and you really do know when its cadbury. Sad thing is now that cadbury is no longer British.
    I find galaxy chocolate too sickly, Nestle chocolate to bland and almost gritty or smoky, Mars is too sugary,Lindt is vile, Kinder is too milky...Cadbury is just divine.

    But you know what....I could really murder a Cabana right now

    (posted by darren).... terrible that cadburys is no longer british.

    i wonder how it will taste after it was bought by some american company.
    i think it was cadburys who did.
    tried lindt and i do not like it.

    i love dark chocolate especially bournville like it more than cadburys.
    like nestle as well.
    Last edited by Heather74; 22-03-2011 at 18:30. Reason: Creating a general thread away from the sweet wrappers one

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    72

    Default Re:Things just ain't what they use to be!

    Hi Darren,

    Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this wayJ You’re totally right about Milk Tray.

    Simple material choices can have huge effects on how we perceive a product. Things like gold foil communicate a certain ‘specialness’ about a brand whereas plastic packaging reeks of cheapness and mass production to my mind. I also tack onto this issue the one of product graphics which all too often look overly synthetic – something I can only attribute to computer-generated imagery and printing techniques.

    Cadbury aside, another example of all of this is Tetley Tea. I think they made a good move on bringing back the tea folk as the brand desperately needed an injection of colour after becoming utterly dull and, consequently, forgettable in recent years. However, I cannot understand for the life of me why they persist with that horrible plastic packaging of theirs. The menthol-looking design makes me think I should be boiling up a cup to put my head over to help my sinuses not to dunk biscuits in to. The smart card box from days gone by was infinitely superior.

    Quite honestly, I could spend all day listing products though there are a handful of exceptions which I do my best to support. One in my opinion is the mighty Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer which is still its original size and still wrapped in its beautiful paper wrapper. Another is the paper and foil combo that is the two-finger Kit Kat – remember the public outcry when Nestle tried to go down the same plastic wrapper route they so sadly did with the four-finger version. The likes of Cadbury should take serious note as they could learn a lot.

    All the best,

    Matthew

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Things just ain't what they use to be!

    I think one of the reasons foil had been phased out was it was easily torn in transit, the amont of stock being "written off" by shops must have been astronomical...plus these days the only people after chocolate with foil on are usually heroin or crack addicts - mainly milkybars and kitkats.
    Most packaging has been sacrificed either for the environment or costs - I remember when a bounty used to have a slide of hard cardboard holding the 2 bits of bounty nice and straight, caramac used to have a nice gold foil covering it also, plus the deep dark yet shiny purple foil of a classic Dairy milk...we used to drag our nail down the length of the bit we wanted to snap off.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,827

    Default Re: Things just ain't what they use to be!

    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Hi Darren,

    Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this wayJ You’re totally right about Milk Tray.

    Simple material choices can have huge effects on how we perceive a product. Things like gold foil communicate a certain ‘specialness’ about a brand whereas plastic packaging reeks of cheapness and mass production to my mind. I also tack onto this issue the one of product graphics which all too often look overly synthetic – something I can only attribute to computer-generated imagery and printing techniques.

    Cadbury aside, another example of all of this is Tetley Tea. I think they made a good move on bringing back the tea folk as the brand desperately needed an injection of colour after becoming utterly dull and, consequently, forgettable in recent years. However, I cannot understand for the life of me why they persist with that horrible plastic packaging of theirs. The menthol-looking design makes me think I should be boiling up a cup to put my head over to help my sinuses not to dunk biscuits in to. The smart card box from days gone by was infinitely superior.

    Quite honestly, I could spend all day listing products though there are a handful of exceptions which I do my best to support. One in my opinion is the mighty Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer which is still its original size and still wrapped in its beautiful paper wrapper. Another is the paper and foil combo that is the two-finger Kit Kat – remember the public outcry when Nestle tried to go down the same plastic wrapper route they so sadly did with the four-finger version. The likes of Cadbury should take serious note as they could learn a lot.

    All the best,

    Matthew
    here is a link to the tunnocks caramel wafer.
    enjoy it mate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmYxCzLpRg


    its so true but packaging can have a huge effest on people deciding if they want to try something.
    especially if its a new product.

    would have been terrible if the 2 finger kit kat had went down the plastic wrapper route.
    why do they try to change something that works and has done for as long as i can remember.

    if its not broken do not fix it.

    between changing wrappers,changing the names of sweets of like marathon to snickers. example.
    at least its still the same in terms of taste.
    look what they did to the boost bar.

    there is something classy about running your finger down the foil between the two fingers.
    the sound as it splits.pure class.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    72

    Default Re: Things just ain't what they use to be!

    Thanks for the link, I don’t remember the ad but it’s a fantastic to see it now. Looking in to things, I’m not aware of very much advertising for Tunnock’s Caramel Wafers at all which is remarkable given their success over the years. I guess that class sells itself.


    As for the two-finger Kit Kat, it’s a miracle that Nestle actually used some common sense for once and kept the foil packaging - I just wish they had their heads screwed on when it came to travesties such as the Smarties’ tube.

    What some manufacturers don’t understand is that in some cases the packaging is just as much as part of the product as the food itself and, consequently, without one or the other the product suffers. Indeed, the ritual unwrapping of a Kit Kat is solely dependent on its material choices: the paper wrapper is sprung open and removed; the fingers rub over the embossed brand name to reveal it on the foil; the thumb runs down the middle of the foil tearing it in two; and finally the fingers are neatly split down the centre. This never loses its charm for me nor – when bored at work - does the precision nibbling required to remove the chocolate first before eating the wafer centre. I remember at school how we would screw up the foil in to silver balls and throw them around. One day in class I even managed to accidently hit our physics teacher square in the face with one of these silver bullets as he timed his entrance through the door rather badly – very funny until the detentions came!


    Oh and as for Cadbury Boost, that’s a fine example of a product whose brand history is enough to give me a headache. Regarding Marathon and others like Opal Fruits, well it’s probably better I don’t even go there or I will end
    up writing an essayJ


    Quite honestly Darren, I think this topic we've started discussing is a thread in of itself - does DYR have a 'rant' forum?!


    Kind regards,


    Matthew
    Last edited by matt; 21-03-2011 at 19:53.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,827

    Default Re: Sweet wrappers over the years

    i never thought anyone else nibbled the chocolate off completely before eating the wafer.
    i even do it with marathon not snickers sounds very like another word.

    perhaps heather or herr can help us out where we can have a general thread.
    o
    or if they are both happy for us to continue as we are.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,827

    Default Re: Sweet wrappers over the years

    and the smarties packaging now i do not like.
    the old packaging had a lid u had to take off.
    i had to bite it off.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,827

    Default Re: Sweet wrappers over the years

    anone remember these milkyway wrappers.
    check this link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kAVIRpSFKA
    i cant remember them.
    must not have been around for that long.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham.
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: Sweet wrappers over the years

    Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    anone remember these milkyway wrappers.
    check this link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kAVIRpSFKA
    i cant remember them.
    must not have been around for that long.
    That looks like a modern American 'Milky Way' which is the same as our 'Mars' bar. Nothing like our 'Milky Way' and I dont think its from 70's 80's or 90's either.
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Things just ain't what they use to be!

    Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post

    perhaps heather or herr can help us out where we can have a general thread.

    or if they are both happy for us to continue as we are.
    Ok, I've done my best to create you a new thread. Feel free to suggest a different thread title if you are not happy, its the first thing that popped into my head!

Similar Threads

  1. Things I Used Ceefax For
    By jason h in forum Television
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30-07-2013, 23:49
  2. Things that you didn't like back in the day, but like now.
    By NostalgiaFreak in forum Miscellaneous memories
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 17-03-2013, 01:17
  3. Things people can't believe you've never done / seen.
    By Trickyvee in forum Member's lounge
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 11:54
  4. Things you got wrong when you were a kid..
    By stockportyears in forum Miscellaneous memories
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 15:12
  5. When Things Were Rotten
    By remember in forum Recently remembered...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 00:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •