Mullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mullets

Introducing the worst hairstyle ever - the Mullet! Found on any stonewash-clad 80s-ite and championed by the likes of Fun House's Pat Sharp, Limahl and Billy Ray Cyrus, the mullet was indeed a sight to behold. It was as popular as the 90s "Rachel" among girls, but with more longevity probably because it took a lot longer to grow out as it consisted of short hair at the front and sides and long hair at the back.Early sightings of the mullet can be dated back to the 1960s, with Welsh singer Tom Jones sporting a fine example. And in the 1970s David Bowie joined in with his own take on the mullet - a trendsetter in the mullet world was Bowie. However, the mullet did not achieve prominence and true popularity until the early 1980s when 'Hair Bands' like Kajagoogoo and Duran Duran somehow made them seem acceptable to the mainstream. If it was good enough for the celebrities, then by heck was it good enough for us plebs!I don't know what we called them in the 80s, but it certainly wasn't 'mullets' because the Oxford Dictionary has given credit for inventing the name to the Beastie Boys in their 1994 song 'Mullet Head'. Maybe people just took a cutting of Pat Sharp from their Just Seventeen magazine to the hairdressers, who know?Thankfully the mullet haircut declined in popularity as the oh-so cool 90s approached and is now almost completely eradicated, except in Eastern Europe where the mullet still thrives. They'll catch on eventually.But of course, while we may mock the mullet now, surely it's only a matter of time before the trend comes round again...For anyone who still doesn't know what a mullet is it's the cool haircut in the photo. Did you have a mullet? Email me a picture and I might make a mullet gallery if I get enough good photos.

More...

Re: Mullets

i never had a mullet........i had a few other fashion disasters but thankfully not too many of the hair kind...........can't wait to see the pics of brave posters though

Comment

Chris Waddle's one at Italia 90 was one I really remember.

I remember it seemed to fade away until being mentioned a fair bit in the media about a decade or so ago.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Never sported a mullet myself,but I knew many people that did have them in the 80's.To me they are an iconic bit of 80's fashion apart from the music and big shoulder pads,lol.

Comment

I had a great mullet in the 80's, I have a photo at my 18th Birthday party showing it in all its glory, unfortunately I can't find it!

Comment

never had one myself either but new a few people who did have them.
            yes remember that pat sharp one well.

i had a few of my own fashion disasters mind you.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My brother had one, will have to ask him If I can email his picture in
              Heather

Comment

Talking of mullets. Has anyone been watching Limahl who is currently on I'm A Celebrity? In the 80's he seemed taller to me (mind you I was never a good judge of height lol). Ant and Dec keep playing his 80's song - Too Shy. I laughed my head of yesterday when it was (supposedly) Ant's birthday and he opened his card and Too Shy blasted out. I loved that song and the other songs I don't remember! Pat Sharp (another mullet) was on it last year but Limahl seems much nicer. Shame he doesn't have that hair

Comment

Just remembered this other pop star (who had a mullet) King. At the time we had a binman who looked like him and he kept trying to chat me up and asking me if I would make him a cake??!! Here is the clip:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Xtrnh-Ejo#t=0s
                  Last edited by Beach Life; 18-11-2012, 17:40.

Comment

look at that...........no pics of anyone sporing a mullet............shame

Comment

Working...
                    X