Plant Trends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant Trends

Does anyone remember certain pot plants being in fashion at certain times.

Ones I can think of:

1970s Cheese & rubber plants

1980s Spider plants

1990s Yucca plants
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Plant Trends

Victorian Ferns

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      Does anyone remember certain pot plants being in fashion at certain times.

Ones I can think of:

1970s Cheese & rubber plants

1980s Spider plants

1990s Yucca plants
      What a cool/interesting thread idea you have thought of/created here, Richard

I don't really recall these Plant Trends sadly par the Yucca Plant/Tree as Horticulture and the like is not really me Forte' - try as I have made it to be

One thing I do recall though from the Middle of the 1980s to 1990s was the trend for Big Plants - like when my Grandparents moved to their last home in 1985 - I will always recall an immensley massive Yucca Plant/Tree they decided upon as was similar with small and large outdoor plants like planting an Apple Tree from seeds in 1985/1986 or 1987 which was great fun as a kid of such a time, when in those day's you tried/was encouraged to be out of doors way more than kids have been encouraged in later/more recent times

80sChav

Comment

My Aunt had a Aspidistra plant in her parlour window in 1970s I think it had white flowers on it.

Peace Lily

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          What a cool/interesting thread idea you have thought of/created here, Richard

I don't really recall these Plant Trends sadly par the Yucca Plant/Tree as Horticulture and the like is not really me Forte' - try as I have made it to be

One thing I do recall though from the Middle of the 1980s to 1990s was the trend for Big Plants - like when my Grandparents moved to their last home in 1985 - I will always recall an immensley massive Yucca Plant/Tree they decided upon as was similar with small and large outdoor plants like planting an Apple Tree from seeds in 1985/1986 or 1987 which was great fun as a kid of such a time, when in those day's you tried/was encouraged to be out of doors way more than kids have been encouraged in later/more recent times

80sChav
          Thanks I was inspired by my girlfriend buying me a house plant, & a recent discussion with my family about plant trends.

Aspidistras have been fashionable a few times. The became popular in Victorian times as they could cope with the fumes from oil lamps.

Comment

Cactus Plants

Comment

When did pampas grass in the garden go in and out of fashion?

I was informed that pampas grass in the front garden was an indicator that swingers lived in the house.

Comment

My mom had Spider plants in the 80s, but they were years old and probably first got them in the 70s.

Anyone remember that you could buy Venus Fly Traps and other insect-eating plants sometime back in the day--there might have been a short-lived fad for them for all I know. I pestered my mom and she got a VFT and another for which I can't recall the name. I think they were supplied as a seed or bulb or similar via post, but we never had any success growing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                  When did pampas grass in the garden go in and out of fashion?

I was informed that pampas grass in the front garden was an indicator that swingers lived in the house.
                  The parents of one of my friends had a patch of Pampas grass in their garden, the blades were very sharp, & that's probably the reason they dug up.

Either that or they heard the rumours!

Comment

I remember back in the late 1970s, my friend's mother had a large round bottle type thing with what appeared to be moss and small plants inside. Apparently, water was put in the bottle then the large top was sealed. It seemed to be a plant eco system in miniature. The bottle seemed to be green in colour. I remember seeing similar ones, usually at upmarket houses.
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                      I remember back in the late 1970s, my friend's mother had a large round bottle type thing with what appeared to be moss and small plants inside. Apparently, water was put in the bottle then the large top was sealed. It seemed to be a plant eco system in miniature. The bottle seemed to be green in colour. I remember seeing similar ones, usually at upmarket houses.
                      They are called bottle gardens. Usually they are open topped but some people seal them so that they never need watering. Originally they were intended for apartments or small houses without gardens but were just as popular in suburban houses. I have seen some in restaurants and hotels.

The large bottles are still sold in some garden centres.

Comment

Thanks Arran. I'd forgotten about those.
                        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I liked those large bottles too really attractive looking

Comment

Going the other way from a damp concealed environment to a dry arid one. Air plants seemed to of been the in thing for a while.They seemed to get a mention on all sorts of programs from kids to the big gardening ones.

Comment

I think there was a brief fad for those miniature trees--bonzai or something like that?

Comment

Working...
                              X