Thread: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

Default PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

It was probably what in Today's Currency that would be translated as Citizenship! In those day's at my School PSE meant Personal and Social education and I think we got that lesson twice a week at my first Comp and once at the 2nd one I attended

Am I alone in my School's having this lesson in the late 80s to early 90s?

80sChav

Default Re: PSE - was I alonbe in having this subject

I had PSE lessons at my secondary school from 1989 to 1994.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Default Re: PSE - was I alonbe in having this subject

Sex-ed should have included relationships as well as just sex (with two rabbits in the film they showed us lol)

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Default Re: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

Yes, I had PSE from Year 10 onwards on Monday mornings just before lunch - wouldn't have minded more than one lesson of it in the week. I think they call it PSHE now, and whether it is the same as Citizenship or not is debateable.

I remember the room had posters that showed people in certain jobs, and ones for health and medical ones that you probably see in doctors' waiting rooms.

We had the careers officer in sometimes, and even a police officer to talk about crime prevention.

I am certain that sex education was covered at my school as part of science rather than PSE because of the biology part of it.

Sex education was taught in Biology lessons in secondary in this area (late 70's early 80's).

It was PHSE at my secondary school. Endless political correctness and left-wing inspired sociological ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    It was PHSE at my secondary school. Endless political correctness and left-wing inspired sociological ideology.
    It's either that or put up with Mary Whitehouse style bible bashers.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Funny - rubbish as my first school was .... PSE was mandatory for each year but at my 2nd school, as good as it was school-wise, we only got PSE in Years 10 and 11 lol

I have never managed to truly figure that one out - as to me it is 2day's version of Citizenship Classes (in a fair few aspects) and so is well important as a result

80sChav

I am not sure whether it was part of PSE or Drama, but we had a theatre group visit the school to do something about sex education and AIDS, with actors who weren't out of school themselves for very long doing adult-like performances, and I think that a dummy (a mannequin not a baby's) was used to represent a person who was... you know.

One funny thing about it was that a girl in our form was sitting at the front and one of the male cast members was doing a rude gesture, almost as if he was doing it straight at her, which prompted one of the boys at the back to comment on it.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by battyrat View Post
    Sex education was taught in Biology lessons in secondary in this area (late 70's early 80's).
    And I got 51% (a Grade C) in my mock exam Biology paper which is ironic considering my difficulties when it comes to "reproduction" - 51% is closer to 100% than 0%. Mind you, I am still in touch with my Biology teacher now and again.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).