Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video v DVD - making the transition

Default Video v DVD - making the transition

The one above is 7 foot long , very strong yet very gentle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Default Re: Video v DVD - making the transition

Fascinating creatures, my neighbour once kept a huge snake outside in his garden shed, i assumed it was heated. he said it was a python and asked if i would like to put it around my neck and shoulders, i said yes and it weighed about the same as a bus, a week or so later we spoke over the garden fence and i enquired about the python, he explained that it was in actual fact a boa constrictor and that he had given it away to a more experienced keeper. i dodged a bullet there me thinks!
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

I am still scratching my head as to what snakes have to do with videos or DVDs.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Default Video v DVD - making the transition

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I am still scratching my head as to what snakes have to do with videos or DVDs.
    My apologies ... you'll have to indulge me now and again

I tried to explain in my post #20
    ( the bit I quoted of yours and the first paragraph of mine ....

Basically we're both Aspie's , both like being kinda different and both obsessive..for starters

Last edited by Zincubus; 10-12-2018 at 21:23.

Don't worry - no need to apologise.

I have let my family know that I might want to modernise - I shall still soldier on with my VCR if all else fails.

I did get my DVD recorder for Christmas - when I get it out of the box, I will connect it up with my existing VCR via a lead of course, (and presumably a SCART socket), and hopefully I will get the best of both worlds.

I have had a VCR since 1980 and a DVD recorder since around 2007. My personal experience with the DVD recorder was that I recorded far less than with the VCR as I found the process more cumbersome and less convenient. Of course, that may well have been that particular model of recorder and more modern ones I would hope are more user friendly, but the manual for the one I have is quite thick and I found that operating it was not that intuitive. For instance, after recording a tape you just stop it and eject, but with the DVD recorder you could not just eject, but first have to go into the menus and 'close' the DVD, because if you just eject it then it will not play. I also had trouble re-recording on DVD writables. I couldn't get my machine to consistently overwrite a recording so resorted to only using DVDRs, so I had to make sure the DVD was full prior to closing and ejecting. Again, hopefully modern machines are better and more user friendly. The one big advantage that I found recording on DVDs had was that storage space required was far smaller than for storing tapes. We now have a hard drive recorder, so the DVD recorder is more usually used nowadays as a player.

Please let us know how you get on with your new DVD recorder, George.

The one thing I've liked with everybody moving from VHS to DVD is so many people are selling their used tapes as blanks on Ebay. Years ago I bought a load of used Scotch tapes from Ebay to see if there might be anything interesting on them so that I could transfer them onto DVD. Apart from a documentary series about TV advertising in the 50's/60's and some Dad's Army stuff I didn't gleam that much out of them. I have been tempted to buy some more but I suppose it's pot luck with what you'll find on the tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by akb48fan View Post
    The one thing I've liked with everybody moving from VHS to DVD is so many people are selling their used tapes as blanks on Ebay. Years ago I bought a load of used Scotch tapes from Ebay to see if there might be anything interesting on them so that I could transfer them onto DVD. Apart from a documentary series about TV advertising in the 50's/60's and some Dad's Army stuff I didn't gleam that much out of them. I have been tempted to buy some more but I suppose it's pot luck with what you'll find on the tapes.
    I managed to pick up some from my local Tesco's VHS exchange table, which mostly had pre-recorded tapes but also some home recorded ones.

So far I've only had time to look through 1, some fairly interesting stuff but nothing really amazing yet.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I managed to pick up some from my local Tesco's VHS exchange table, which mostly had pre-recorded tapes but also some home recorded ones.

So far I've only had time to look through 1, some fairly interesting stuff but nothing really amazing yet.
    You may find some “home movies “