Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

I watched some 1962-62 Z Cars and I think it holds up quite well surprisingly, but then it wasn't Dixon Of Dock Green. There's one show where a black family ends up locked out of their flat, it didn't peddle any easy answers and the black mother was very icy toward PC Smith/Brian Blessed telling him why she wouldn't thank him for helping them. There was another with a pensioner caught stealing a toy car for a grandchild at a chain store that had a standard operating procedure of prosecuting all thefts large or small to the fullest. I also watched a 1972 episode (the Bert Lynch character was the only original left) with a drug addict on a roof of an empty office block or warehouse with a watchman. I think they must've actually shot some of these in the Liverpool area, and did the film inserts there for the earlier ones.

You could do with more old Z Cars repeats and fewer new celebrity house-flipping type reality shows.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

I watched some 1962-63 Z Cars and I think it holds up quite well surprisingly, but then it wasn't Dixon Of Dock Green. There's one show where a black family ends up locked out of their flat, it didn't peddle any easy answers and the black mother was very icy toward PC Smith/Brian Blessed telling him why she wouldn't thank him for helping them. There was another with a pensioner caught stealing a toy car for a grandchild at a chain store that had a standard operating procedure of prosecuting all thefts large or small to the fullest. I also watched a 1972 episode (the Bert Lynch character was the only original left) with a drug addict on a roof of an empty office block or warehouse with a watchman. I think they must've actually shot some of these in the Liverpool area, and did the film inserts there for the earlier ones.

You could do with more old Z Cars repeats and fewer new celebrity house-flipping type reality shows.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

I gathered that it was a repeat then.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Aye (I fowled up the edit function and just missed it, for a correction of 1962-62 to 1962-63)

That's the danger of posting and clicking back a page - you think it has not posted when it has.

I like how Z Cars is mentioned phonetically as Zed Cars on Wikipedia just in case anyone from the United States might be reading and thinking that it was called Zee Cars, which made me think, was it ever shown in that country and if so, did they have to do a sub-Boss Cat change of title for the market?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

I was watching a show last week called "it was alright in the 70s", it dealt with this very subject and NO most of what was shown would not feature today.
    Racist "jokes"
    Sexism
    Homophobic comments
    Rape "jokes"
    Domestic violence
    ...Ofcourse these kinds of issues are regularly dealt with in soaps and dramas but would be unlikely material in the name of entertainment these days
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post

...was it ever shown in that country and if so, did they have to do a sub-Boss Cat change of title for the market?
    Probably something like Death Force Z...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I was watching a show last week called "it was alright in the 70s", it dealt with this very subject and NO most of what was shown would not feature today.
    Racist "jokes"
    Sexism
    Homophobic comments
    Rape "jokes"
    Domestic violence
    ...Ofcourse these kinds of issues are regularly dealt with in soaps and dramas but would be unlikely material in the name of entertainment these days
    Certainly minority characters who weren't one dimensional characters weren't common then, even having women in a position of authority was a novelty.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Probably something like Death Force Z...
    Notice that the Elizabeth Taylor film X, Y, and Zee was spelt like that for non-American markets.

I'm still impressed with Z Cars enough that for any one character saying something dated there were two saying something else making the other look dated. It wasn't all Andy Capp, and the character like that wasn't shown as positive (or at least not all positive). The officers and top brass were flawed in various ways even if the WPC made tea in the office among other things. Someone could revive the show in a period setting with the original script and come off as well or better than Heartbeat. It's no Black And White Minstrel Show.

There was a chain store in Canada called Zellers that had a teddy bear mascot named 'Zeddy', so I guess we're still a bit civilized compared to our neighbour.

Actually I often find the U.S. spelling more logical... do we really need all these excess letter 'u' s in colour, labour etc.? As I type those there is a red line under them to say they are wrong... must be the Micorsoft software!