Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: swimming lessons

Default swimming lessons

Who remembers those bags you bought from school for swimming.Can remember a few colours bright orange,green,red and possible blue.They had a black pic on them,but the biggest memory was the smell....they stunk of the strongest rubber/plastic you can think of

Default Re: swimming bags

Count yourself lucky you didn't have to shove all your hair up in to a skin tight cap that stank the same way

Oh yes! The bags, the caps, and I think even the arm bands, all had that nasty rubbery smell.

(Probably for another thread, but I will never forget the time, aged about 8 or 9, that I removed all my clothes, reached into my swim-bag, only to discover there were no trunks inside. I had to have 'borrowed' ones. Very unpleasent.)

Oh no, not the dreaded "help yourself to one out of the locker" I'll never forget I had to put one on that was a mile to big and as I was swimming the straps kept slipping down my arm, 13 years old and a male instructor I was gutted.

And just out of interested... Who the hell was the kid who bit a chunk out of all the polystyrene floats surely to god school dinners weren't that bad!!!

PS no trunks= better than ya Dad's pants

Quote Originally Posted by huggie74 View Post
    ...And just out of interested... Who the hell was the kid who bit a chunk out of all the polystyrene floats surely to god school dinners weren't that bad!!!

PS no trunks= better than ya Dad's pants
    The floats with the missing chunks around the edge! Ha-ha, I'd forgotten, but yes. It's true.

I was very impressionable at 9 years old - perhaps most kids are - but when my classmates realised my predicament, it was, "You have to do swimming in the nude if you haven't brought your trunks!" Oh, the terror!

Just had a flash back of walking through the freezing cold veruca bath and then having to kneel face to the wall/feet back while the teacher checked the soles of your feet!

Quote Originally Posted by huggie74 View Post
    Just had a flash back of walking through the freezing cold veruca bath and then having to kneel face to the wall/feet back while the teacher checked the soles of your feet!
    That disinfectant foot bath thing was horrid. We had a cold stream of water constantly raining from above aswell, and no way to skip around to avoid it or the footbath, so it was a case of *get from changing room to pool-side as quick as was humanly possible*!

Oh dear Heather, those swim days are flooding back! We need a dedicated thread!

Just changed the thread title with Old gits blessing

Talking of cold water ..The showers after were the worse part of the whole lesson, we were made to take off our costumes and ring them out leaving us stood starkers, scarred for life I tell you LIFE....

Default Re: swimming lessons

And how come you always seemed to come outside and it was freezing cold!.Didn't we ever have lessons in the summer?

Default Re: swimming lessons

Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    And how come you always seemed to come outside and it was freezing cold!.Didn't we ever have lessons in the summer?
    Thats so true and we always seemed to have lessons right before lunch or playtime so you were stuck outside for an hour! With dripping wet hair from the showers.<<<< frozen.