Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: School Trips

Default Re: School Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    Where i'd have a duffle bag with a packed lunch in
    Weird!! I had a flash back to sitting on the coach looking into that duffel bag the other day at work. It had been raining and the toilet roof here leaks so it smelled musty, the exact same smell of that duffel bag! I guess it didn't come out of the cupboard often. Smells often seem to do that to me, I'll often smell something that will take me back to a memory momentarily.

(Daz - apologies for whatever I wrote that required editing, what was it BTW so I know for future reference?)

Went isle of white in primary school, but dont remember alot about it,think it was ryde.Also was lucky enough to go sking in switzerland at middle school.But the one i remember most was stout hall in wales,it was like a prison .The food was **** and they used to make you walk for miles everyday.Also had the chance at high school to go to Russia but i didnt fancy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    ...Smells often seem to do that to me, I'll often smell something that will take me back to a memory momentarily...
    Oh absolutely! I have the same sensations. There is a certain leather smell that conjours up the school satchel I had at the age of 5. Unfortunately, all it does is make me recall the nervousness and discomfort I felt at the time.

School Trips? We went to Dinard in France when I was about 9, (1971). We took the ferry and then a coach to the hotel. It was a very basic affair and on the first night, a bed in one of the girls' rooms - as well as the ajoining loo - was infested with ants. Otherwise, my memories of the trip are very happy.

We also went to a couple of football matches; an England-Italy friendly and a game between Oxford and Cambridge. Then there was the usual Science Museum visit, and of course, the geography one! Does this count as a trip? Standing by the River Wey with a clip board answering questions about erosion. *yawn*

Went to the David Livngstone house in Blantyre in primary 4 or 5.

Aviemore for 5 days in primary 7. The Swedish ice hockey team were there & would speed skate dragging one of us behind them.

Millport for the day in 2nd year. i remember that it was a lovely sunny day & had a great laugh.

Skiing in Austria in 3rd year. We stayed at an hotel owned by Bernie Winters. Lovely guy. I should have mentioned him in the 'famous people you've met thread'.

One of the class dropped a stinkbomb in a castle in Killarney - the teacher was going to bring us all straight back to school if the perp didn't own up.

1st trips were in Juniors IIRC....first circa 1974 to France via Townsend Thoresens' lovely orange&white ferries (Normandy & Britanny..stayed in a huge dormitory in Pontorson..very close to Mont St Michael, so visits to Bayeaux Tapestry , D-Day beaches....I remember the sea being sooo blue & warm (well I was used to the sea at Skegness! yuk )

ooh also Lincoln Cathedral

and a 'trip' to see the Queen on her visit to Scunthorpe early 70's...we were simply bussed in, stood in cold for ages, she drove by, we waved our little flags, 2 seconds that was it

....then 1976 to Swanage in Dorset....Corfe Castle, Blue Pool, Poole Pottery, Lulworth Cove etc

at comp, 1977-82, went to: Beamish Museum 1977 (year it opened so hardly owt there!); 2 trips to Stratford-on-Avon 1980/81 to the RSC (Hamlet, then Macbeth); Alton Towers 1981 & 1982 (when there was ONLY the Log Flume and the Corkscrew there )

Then the biggy...1980 comp ....Yugoslavia (& Italy)..fab!

Splitters!

Visit us here:
    http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/

Can't remember that many school trips. There were a couple of educational ones to local museums. Don't remember any theatre trips. I remember going to Southport when i was in primary school and Hadrians wall, York and Alton towers in secondary school. Never managed to go abroad with school. Closest I got was a trip to Austria in my 3rd year in secondary school but it got cancelled (my dad let me keep the money instead). The best trip was to Chester zoo in the junios in primary school. One of the girls dropped her lunchbox off a bridge, fortunately a barge was just passing and one of the people managed to retrieve it but he threw it with such force that it nearly knocked one of our teachers out.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

British Museum London on a smelly old coach with mad checked pattern seats holding onto the sick bucket!

Ye all seem to have had more exotic school tours than me !

We went to Thorpe Park first year of high school. We trashed the place and after our year was never allowed on a school trip again.