Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Were Your Best Holidays As A Kid or Growing Up

luxton bus depot & In The Back Of Stan's Bus

Default What Were Your Best Holidays As A Kid or Growing Up

What Was The Best Holiday You Have Ever Been On As a Kid Or Growing Up ?

Were You A Butlins Or Pontins Holiday-makers.

or any-other great holidays with your parents or family mates etc .

would love to hear them

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Default Re: What Were Your Best Holidays As A Kid or Growing Up

My first holiday was in August 1967 staying with relations in Folkestone Kent it was lovely the ride on the cliff railway,the outdoor swimming pool,going on the Hythe Dymchurch miniture railway,visiting Dover castle.The pebbled beach in Sandgate a stone throw from my cousins flat it was a lovely sunny week,the family get together with my cousins daughter christening.My mum took me back Easter 1970 cant remember much about that.Returned in 1973 visited dreamland fanfare in Margate went on the wooden roller coaster sitting in the front fun.Also remember going to Hastings in East Sussex in my relations bright orange Volkswagen Beetle

Had lots of trips around Lincs coast as a kid in the 70s. A few random memories:

- Those bubble-gum type machines that had tiny joke books in them that would fall apart very quickly

- Tiny key-ring guns that fired little caps

- Seeing the clear sky over a hill and knowing once you went to the opt you could see the sea

- Bingo callers with all their '2 fat ladies' type lingo

- Caravans with bunk beds

- Looking at all the naughty postcards on the stands in front of shops

- The great arcade games - Galaga, Space Invaders, Defender, Scramble etc etc in the arcades

- Eating rock and not being frightened of breaking all my teeth

- Taking ages to get there (2 hours is a loooong time at that age)

- Getting lucky and finding the caravan came equipped with board games you didn't have at home

Happy Days

They were happy fun days seaside rock shops,buckets and spades rubber rings,amusement arcades,fun fairs,it always took ages to get somewhere but when you did arrive that wonderful feeling somewhere different than home,the train journey,ladies playing bingo my aunt loved playing that game and always had the luck of winning,her daughter once said I didn't have to buy any pyrex dishes tea towels etc with my mum always winning at bingo lol happy happy days

I am one of six children and my mam and dad would save all year for our annual week in Rhyl. Very fond memories of those holidays indeed, passed through Rhyl a few years back and it was awful,so run down
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Quote Originally Posted by onthebusesfan View Post
    What Was The Best Holiday You Have Ever Been On As a Kid Or Growing Up ?

Were You A Butlins Or Pontins Holiday-makers.

or any-other great holidays with your parents or family mates etc .

would love to hear them
    Same for me Re;, Pontins and Butlins OTBF - we went to loads of them over the years like Ayr, Blackpool, Rhyl/Pretatyn etc

Great times indeed mate, yeah!!

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I am one of six children and my mam and dad would save all year for our annual week in Rhyl. Very fond memories of those holidays indeed, passed through Rhyl a few years back and it was awful,so run down
    Really!!? I know it does'nt look good as have seen it on GHoogle Earth and a few of their guides and yes in 1989 we went to a shambolic Hotel - we had to move out of in a day due to no Service at all - but to me it's lovely with the Mountainas Range behind the Town and admitted it has'nt manyHotels - but not having many Hotels suggest qaulity of a place to me and less chance for more "rif-raf" to Holiday there!!!!!

As I say, I have looked on Google Earth and have seen far worse places without doubt .... but then again tell me/show a Seaside Town that is'nt run down - including my beloved Blackpool and places on the East Coast I grew up nr like Scarbrough and Brid even!!!
    Last edited by 80sChav; 30-05-2020 at 12:56.

Been to Blackpool 4 times I enjoyed it the Sept illuminations in 1978 & 1979

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    Really!!? I know it does'nt look good as have seen it on GHoogle Earth and a few of their guides and yes in 1989 we went to a shambolic Hotel - we had to move out of in a day due to no Service at all - but to me it's lovely with the Mountainas Range behind the Town and admitted it has'nt manyHotels - but not having many Hotels suggest qaulity of a place to me and less chance for more "rif-raf" to Holiday there!!!!!

As I say, I have looked on Google Earth and have seen far worse places without doubt .... but then again tell me/show a Seaside Town that is'nt run down - including my beloved Blackpool and places on the East Coast I grew up nr like Scarbrough and Brid even!!!
    Love the east coast Scarborough,Bridlington,Filey and Whitby...I go most years for a short break
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Sheringham in Norfolk is nice