Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrinky Dinks

1. Default Shrinky Dinks

Shrinky Dinks reached their height of popularity in the 80s. They were an activity set for children consisting of large flexible sheets, which once baked in the oven, turn into smaller, hard plates or pieces of jewellery. Many of the sets were themed on popular children's characters, which you could have fun painting them in before baking.The toy set itself was invented in 1973 by Betty Morris and Kathryn Bloomberg, who were devising a boy scouts toy for their children. They went on to be sold in local shopping mall, then by larger toy manufacturers under the title Shrinky Dinks.

more...

2. Default Re: Shrinky Dinks

I got my first shrinky dinks from weetabix , they were free inside special packs, great fun!

Default Re: Shrinky Dinks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2000ad 0372 31.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	2214

5. Default Re: Shrinky Dinks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hfuhruhurr View Post
    thats the ones!!! Shrinkies, great Ad, thanks ermmmm (LOL) D

The even get a mention on American Dad, with Roger The Alien getting excited over them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

I seem to remember getting Tom and Jerry one's with shreddies.

I remember going into convulsions over the Star Wars ones, although memory defeats me whether they were from cereal or crisps.

In the early 80s some bright spark realised that if you grill crisp packets, they would shrink to create smaller forms of themselves. The plastic hardened and you could make tiny key-ring crisp packets.

Any else try this?

Default Shrinky Dinky's

Wasn't sure where to put this one, but as they were free in boxes of cereals, I think Food and Drink are quite apt. Shrinky Dinky's were a picture of a cartoon character, (I think mine was Jerry Mouse), and they were on this plastic type sheet. So you cut them out and put them in the oven, (this is vague, but I think you might have had to colour them in)? And when you got them out, they had......wait for it......shrunk! Even as a kid I remember thinking, 'and???' And I didn't have loads of stuff as a kid, so imagine how more priviledged kids must have felt! Lol!

More...

Default Re: Shrinky Dinky's

I've even heard them mentioned on American Dad, where Roger The Alien was impressed by them.
    The Trickster On The Roof