Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biscuit ads

Default Re: Biscuit ads

Quote Originally Posted by branny View Post
    I was just thinking about some of the biscuit ads from the past. My faves include The bloke with the guitar singing Blue riband blues. The United ads featuring Miles Offside and his family and also the one that went "my name is Stan and I'm a fan and I'm delighted to eat United". Then going back further, Cadbury Whistler advertised by the Kamikaze Coconuts and Angels trumpets advertised by the devil. They don't make em like they used to.

Cool. New to me

Quote Originally Posted by branny View Post
    Jaffa cakes has just reminded me of another. Early 70s - the mad jaffa cake eater. some bloke in a turban riding around on a trike.
    here is a jaffa cake ad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1oQn3zNlKg

Aye aye - another Mitch Benn fan? He's the reason I found this site in the first place!

anyone remember these.
    http://youtu.be/DmoAjy_m0aQ

How about the ad for "Montego" where you have a housewife trying one for the first time and she starts doing the rumba around the living room as it makes her feel all tropical and exotic. Her husband is asleep in an armchair and she says to her daughter "Hey let's give one to your father, maybe it'll liven him up a bit!", at which point he leans over (still apparently asleep) and pinches her bum! funneeeeeeeee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Maxi View Post
    I'm off to P-P-P-Pick up a Penguin.
    I remember those ads from waaaaay back when the voice-over was done by Derek Nimmo! That dates me. Hands up if you just said: "Who?"
    Well for all those who did, take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Nimmo

As Mentioned in the OP
    Whistler

Never heard of Whistler - before my time. The name and font looks similar to Wispa however.

Anyway, this thread reminded me of the McVities biscuits adverts in the 1980s such as the one for Chocolate Homewheat where the mother hides a packet of biscuits behind a shelf full of books, and going "shush" to the dog (as if the dog can actually tell the family where the biscuits actually are). The children who had gone out for the day, come back home and play Hide and Seek to find the biscuits - a girl uplifting a sofa cushion etc. Another one in the series was for Rich Tea which was set on a building site, and I assume that a lot of people would confuse it with the Birds Eye "will it be chips of jacket spuds?" Steakhouse Grills advert from around the same time.

I suppose that Kit Kat is quite marginal in that respect.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

I don't know if it's still the case but, I believe "Jaffa Cakes" qualify as cakes for tax purposes, i.e. they are exempt or zero rated. If they were classed as biscuits, they'd have VAT added. It's because biscuits are a luxury, but cakes are a necessity!