• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blockbusters.

another wonderful game show.
    a show i never misssed.
    it had me glued to the screen.
    here is an intro to it.

for me this music is probably the best ive ever heard in a tv show.
    sends shivers up my spine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usdeiJP7xh0

and another theme tune from 1992.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R04PD_jl-0

blockbusters was the first ever show to run five days a week.

it also had a swedish australian and us versions.
    the aussie version ran from 1990 to 93 hosted by michael pope.
    it was originally an american show u.s. show.

but it was much more popular in the uk.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: blockbusters.

I remember rushing home from college in September 1983 to see this quite groundbreaking programme - with the great Bob Holness (Very BBC voice, and used in many voiceovers in informative films for years!)

I will have a "P" please Bob (GROAN ! ) became an inhouse joke, as did the later hand jive dance that accompanied the theme tune!

Comment

here is a clip from the very last ever episode.
      http://youtu.be/f8PRXTbVAfc

Comment

Strange that this thread should appear! We have a debate going on about the presenter Bob Holness! Somewhere (cant remember where) it said that the chap had passed away? (I do hope not) When you google it, I cant seem to find a straight answer, according to Wikipedia, he is still with us?

Anyone put us right please?

Comment

I can't remember hearing anything about his death. There's a lot on the internet about him having had strokes so perhaps that's where it has come from but I don't think he is dead. I'm sure it would be on Wikipedia if he was. Mind you, I didn't realise he was that old! (82).
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Ah Blockbusters a quiz show for teenagers which was perfectly timed for me in the mid to late 80's, I used to watch it religously often at my grandmother's who I'd visit on an afternoon after my tea. The theme tune was great and Bob Holness was a good presenter for it, some episodes from the early 90's are occasionally re-ran on Challenge and it's still good viewing.
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

'I'll have an 'E' please Bob!'

I met Bob Holness back in the late '80s when he opened a Christmas Fair in Ashford, Kent. He told me about going to college in Maidstone (at the time I was thinking of doing the same thing). A genuinely nice guy.
              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                Ah Blockbusters a quiz show for teenagers which was perfectly timed for me in the mid to late 80's, I used to watch it religously often at my grandmother's who I'd visit on an afternoon after my tea. The theme tune was great and Bob Holness was a good presenter for it, some episodes from the early 90's are occasionally re-ran on Challenge and it's still good viewing.
                its as good now as it ever was.
                challenge show n odd episode.
                it should be brought back.

there was always good crack between bob and the audience and contestants.

Comment

Never liked it. I remember my old man used to take the mick out of the way Bob held the question cards. What really annoyed me as a kid was hearing the audience do that 'Blockbusters dance' to the music-stamping their feet and clapping their hands to the beat. Also, WHY did they have two on one team vs one person on their own??? Were the other two consisting of a thick person and a helper or something?!

Comment

ARGH! Just saw that 'hand jive' thing in the end credits to the last ever one clip....'oh William, the pain, the pain....' (work out that line for yourself...i.e. where its paraphrased from...its a rubbish film as a clue)....

I think the show ended because Central lost its franchise in 92, along with Thames.

Comment

Must admit I wasn't the greatest fan of the show but I still ended up watching it and some how ended up with a Blockbusters board game and computer game. The computer game made me laugh as it had a jerky picture of Bob's face reading out the questions.

Put yourself on that hot spot!
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

The 2 on 1 was because the blues had to get one extra hexagon.

I quite liked it back in the day, some of the Goldrush questions could be really tricky.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I also seem to remember it being advertised as ' are two minds really better than one' ??
                          Heather

Comment

yp..taken from show synopsis

A solo player competed against a pair of contestants, thus setting out to prove or disprove the old adage that two heads really were better than one.
                            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                              yp..taken from show synopsis

A solo player competed against a pair of contestants, thus setting out to prove or disprove the old adage that two heads really were better than one.
                              id expect two to be better than one.
                              but i wonder what the record was between the single player and th two players.

Comment

Working...
                              X