• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi42
    replied
    Originally posted by teepee View Post
    Re: Retro aftershaves

There's a really strange poundshop in a town near me. It's full of Chinese-made rubbish piled high to the ceiling and most of the stuff is really bizarre. I couldn't even begin to guess what some of the stuff is. They stock some blatant rip-off items - last time I was visited there was aftershave called 'Burt'. The bottle and box was a dead ringer for Brut. I dread to think what is in the bottle though. It would probably take your skin off.
    we also had a cheap place nearby that sold nearly knock off aftershaves and perfumes.
    highly amusing to see bottles of chuuchi, Paulo , and Huge Buzz. On the shelves

Leave a comment:

• Moonraker
    replied

Nothing beats the Hai Karate advert. Recall watching it as a child.

Leave a comment:

• battyrat
    replied

The only other aftershave I can remember as a kid or a teenager was that stuff sold by Avon in football or other odd shaped bottles.I can't tell how many friends parents had the bottles on display in their living rooms once empty. Seems almost like everybody back then.

Leave a comment:

• Donnie
    replied

I'm on a retro aftershave hunt: Please, does anyone recognise this 1980's aftershave? The bottle was used as a record company promo for The Fall group so the label is hidden... but the crosshatched lid is very distinctive. I have no joy contacting people in the Fall camp, so hoping this jogs the memory of someone here. All clues much appreciated!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Somerandombird
    replied

My Dad used to love Cedar Wood, I'd get him a box set every birthday

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I think that the smell of the aftershave and the fact that it does sting a bit is the main reason why I don't regularly use aftershave myself.

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied

I use Old Spice (Champion) body wash every day.

Leave a comment:

• teepee
    replied

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
    Strange how they are like virtually un-seen now - even in places like B&M and Qaulity Save I think
    There's a really strange poundshop in a town near me. It's full of Chinese-made rubbish piled high to the ceiling and most of the stuff is really bizarre. I couldn't even begin to guess what some of the stuff is. They stock some blatant rip-off items - last time I was visited there was aftershave called 'Burt'. The bottle and box was a dead ringer for Brut. I dread to think what is in the bottle though. It would probably take your skin off.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Old Brute and Old Spice with a grotty old spunge to use for your wash/bath and a glass for girgling water when Teet Brushing are my obiding memories of present buying for Xmas/Fathers Day/Birthdays for Family Members no longer with me are strike Gold when thinking of this thread! Strange how they are like virtually un-seen now - even in places like B&M and Qaulity Save I think and find and find rather sad! I am always on the hunt for them (or was until recently) too so my local branches must be rubbish is my instant assumption!!

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• teepee
    replied

Originally posted by FlowerWY View Post
    By the way, what about Irish Moos?
    I assumed this was a typo and that it was 'Irish Moss'. However, I see that it is 'Irisch', therefore German. Never heard of it before, but it looks interesting from the descriptions. Thanks for mentioning it!

Leave a comment:

• FlowerWY
    replied

......So what was your fave whiff, heres a few reminders....

ARAMIS, OLD SPICE, DENIM, HAI KARATE, BLUE STRATOS, BRUT, TABAC.

I was a big fan of Brut inparticular and still use it on occasion, also being the old rocker that i am Patchouli oil.
    Old Spice and Denim are still available to get. Though the scent differs in my opinion, but I still love to use those especially combined with the beard moisturizers from this article. Can't say the same about Brut. By the way, what about Irish Moos? Does any of you heard about it?

Leave a comment:

• Moonraker
    replied

I use Brut.
    Just the other day I showed my daughter a Brut ad on YouTube which included Barry Sheen and Henry Cooper.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Brute, Old Brute and any Lyn particulary the short lived Lynx Chocolate version I'd say!

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
    Yep remember all those. I used Denim for years in my youth.

I found Brut just so HEAVY and cloying. Old Spice wasn't much better.

Does anybody remember Insignia ?

I also used to get my mother to get stuff from Avon as well.
    Me & my brother had a few things from Insignia, as well as the aftershave there was shower gel & a few others.

I don't know what happened to them, they seemed to vanish in the mid 1990s.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Aramis Life !!

Still use it ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

Working...
X