Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call the Fashion Police

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • sixtyten
    replied
    Re: Call the Fashion Police

    Don't remember it in 1989, but certainly remember the girl's fashion for "hacking" jackets, with leather elbow patches in the mid 70's.
    Ghastly

    Leave a comment:


  • Richard1978
    replied
    Re: Call the Fashion Police

    About the time I started at secondary school in 1989 it was fashionable for girls to wear men's tweed & other Daddish suit jackets (no leather patches though!).

    A few years ago I mentioned this when having an office chat on fashion faux pas & someone confessed to wearing their Dad's old suit jacket in the same time period.

    Leave a comment:


  • leggingslover
    replied
    Did i really wear that ?

    Can anyone remember wearing the following (sorry most of these are for the girlies)

    a) Grolsch bottle tops on their shoes(a la Bros)
    b) Wallabies
    c) Shell suits
    d) Skirts with braces
    e) Sport stuff by Fila, Gallini,Capri, Lonsdale, Pony, La Gear etc... worn with trainers with huge tongues and loads of different colour laces
    f) Neon socks
    g) Leggings ( as my forum name suggests happy to be wearing these again though
    and a couple of beauty things i remember using insette hair spray,charlie red perfume,sun in hair lightener, banana clips etc
    Feel free to add your own there will be loads i have missed out and it will be cool to be reminded of them

    Leave a comment:


  • chilligrape
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    I would LOVE some lurex Union Jack knee socks for the 70's weekend I'm going on soon...that would be fab!! I'm off to search for some!!

    Leave a comment:


  • kazboot
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
    Do you remember all the hysteria on tv and in the newspapers at the time Kaz? Endless "experts" trotted out to tell us that we'd all end up with deformed feet and damaged spines and crippled and probably in wheelchairs by the time we reached 30. Rubbish, nothing wrong with my feet or my spine. The only damage they did me was to my pride every time I (frequently ) fell over. Well worth the humiliation to look that cool while upright if you ask me

    Yep remember all that.
    I had a few sprained ankles falling off them, but it was all well worth it!

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    Originally posted by kazboot View Post
    COOL!
    I bet I was the last one wearing platforms though, they had to be surgically removed in the end!
    Do you remember all the hysteria on tv and in the newspapers at the time Kaz? Endless "experts" trotted out to tell us that we'd all end up with deformed feet and damaged spines and crippled and probably in wheelchairs by the time we reached 30. Rubbish, nothing wrong with my feet or my spine. The only damage they did me was to my pride every time I (frequently ) fell over. Well worth the humiliation to look that cool while upright if you ask me

    Leave a comment:


  • kazboot
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
    I had a pair of lurex Union Jack knee socks in '77 that I wore with red platforms with a 6 inch heel. I was probably the last person in my town to stop wearing platforms. Gutted when they went out of fashion.
    COOL!
    I bet I was the last one wearing platforms though, they had to be surgically removed in the end!

    My biggest fashion mistake was probably wearing turquoise hotpants at the age of 11.
    What were my parents thinking even though I nagged them for a pair.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    I had a pair of lurex Union Jack knee socks in '77 that I wore with red platforms with a 6 inch heel. I was probably the last person in my town to stop wearing platforms. Gutted when they went out of fashion.

    Leave a comment:


  • mazzer
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    What was wrong with Dunlop Green Flash trainers anyway?

    Leave a comment:


  • AFBulimia
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    PVC Bondage trousers......... and god did they stink after a day of wearing them in the summer.

    Still.. I've been told that these days I dress like a cross between a terrorist paramilitary soldier and a birdwatcher! Must be an improvement...surely?

    Leave a comment:


  • sally 1973
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    A pale blue/dark blue/yellow adidas hoodie (nylon) with huge adidas motif on front on dark blue suede. hmmm
    a peach (yes peach) skirt suit with sailor type jacket and peach dolly shoes
    slazenger grey v neck sweater for school over thin tie
    leg warmers rolled down with white buckskin boots. Would whiten them everyday with that spongey whitener stuff till they cracked.
    white nylon vest attatched to tartan kilt with steel pin.
    blue denim dungarees worn with vest top and black monkey boots as per dexys midnight runners.
    grey jelly shoes with a block heel, used to make my feet sweat like mad.
    white rara skirt
    pink shirt dress with white flecks of paint? cotton? all over it, shoes to match.
    The list of ridiculous fashion disasters is endless.

    Leave a comment:


  • laurena86
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    Hey guys,

    Red Bull Cola are currently running an incentive on their facebook fan page where you could be rewarded with £50 ASOS vouchers for admitting to your most heinous fashion mistakes!

    All you have to do is post your fashion confession on their discussion thread (and even better - upload your photo evidence to the fan photos section) and include your name and city.

    Week 6: Fashion Confessions | Facebook

    They will then pick one they like and reward that person with £50 Asos.com vouchers

    Good Luck!

    Leave a comment:


  • HG
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    I was always about 6 - 12 months behind the fashion, by the time i'd persuaded my parents to buy me stuff it was past it

    Leave a comment:


  • bun
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    Originally posted by pantherpink View Post
    I always wanted to dress like Madonna when she first started. Trouble is, with a mop on top not disimilar to Leo Sayer a decade earlier, I never quite got the image right.
    I had all the plastic junk bracelets - hundreds of them right up to the elbows, with tatty bits of ribbon added for effect, and I even wore white lacey leggings under my tartan mini skirt (I know Madonna didn't wear tartan, but it's all I had at the time).... Then I would wrap half a rolled up net curtain in my hair and tie it in a big bow (with aforementioned barnet).... Add a Nik Kershaw snood and luminous fingerless gloves... et voila!
    Thank goodness by that time DeelyBoppers were out of fashion, else they would have been on my head instead of the old nets!
    OH YES I thought Madonna in 1984 was the bees knees and tried to copy her style...Kids from FAME were cool too, I loved to wear Miami Vice style pale pink cotton trouser suit with jelly shoes and toweling socks

    Leave a comment:


  • bun
    replied
    Re: my many fashion mistakes

    Yes I was a bit embarressed at the time, but now I think they look good, especially as now all the teens and 20 somethings wear them and look cool, even though a lot of the 80s stylee is exagerated. (Think La Roux)

    I can remember shopping in Top shop late 80s and the clothes were cheap then, must of been as I was only 15 so wouldnt of had the sort of money kids get these days. Had a lot of 'Chelsea Girl' hand me downs from my sister

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X