Early 1990's Ringpull Free Cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 1990's Ringpull Free Cans

Can anyone remember the drink which came in a can that didn't have a ringpull?

Instead it had 2 raised bumps that needed to be pushed inwards to consume the contents.

Tomorrow's World demonstated them IIRC.

I've got the feeling they were a Sainbury's own-brand product, & the drink was a springwater & orange juice mix.

I can't remember the name of the drink, so can anyone else help?

For some reason they didn't last long, possibly because too many cans accidently opened in transit.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Early 1990's Ringpull Free Cans

I remember the cans you had to open by pressing the buttons in. My Grandparents used to get loads of pop in for us and nearly all of them used this method of opening. This was pre '94. I always remember pushing the big button in was quite hard for me as a kid, and often I'd be worried about cutting myself on the can after I'd put my finger through it. It was a weird time for opening cans, you had several ways of doing it because everyone wanted to see if they could replace the old style ring pull with the sharp edges.

Comment

Remember how sometimes the ring would break off before you'd even broke the seal? I also remember seeing flattened rings and the tongue shaped pull on the roads and pavements as a kid...

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        Can anyone remember the drink which came in a can that didn't have a ringpull?
        Instead it had 2 raised bumps that needed to be pushed inwards to consume the contents.
        I remember 'em, Sainsburys definitely did them,(Orange Crush is the only flavour I can remember) & I think maybe a couple of other brands used them too,
        Can't quite remember who though, they weren't around for long.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, this came into my mind earlier this week & seemed just right for this site.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
            I also remember seeing flattened rings and the tongue shaped pull on the roads and pavements as a kid...
            Back in the day... late 70's or early 80's I guess.. a flattened out ringpull could be used to make free calls from public phone boxes. You held onto the tongue bit and pushed the ring into the coin slot. I think this was at the time when public call boxes had 2p and 5p slots. I remember seeing some older kids doing this to make free calls and felt like I'd witnessed a major crime! Maybe that's why there so many flattened ones around.

Cheers,
            Finnthedude.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnthedude View Post
              Back in the day... late 70's or early 80's I guess.. a flattened out ringpull could be used to make free calls from public phone boxes. You held onto the tongue bit and pushed the ring into the coin slot. I think this was at the time when public call boxes had 2p and 5p slots. I remember seeing some older kids doing this to make free calls and felt like I'd witnessed a major crime! Maybe that's why there so many flattened ones around.

Cheers,
              Finnthedude.
              Its the little crimes like this that makes me sigh nostalgically for the 'good old days'....its also brilliant when the 'little people' get one up on the big money grabbing companies...I'd still do this if it were possible!

Comment

HAHA

yes i remember this carry on.
                i seen loads of people do it.
                i never did it myself honest.

this does bring back great memories though.

Originally posted by Finnthedude View Post

Cheers,
                Finnthedude.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                X