Crosse and Blackwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosse and Blackwell

Noticed in the supermarket the other day that the Crosse and Blackwell brand has reappeared. Apparently they've decided to re-launch it as it was still well remembered and highly regarded by the British public in surveys.

Must admit I remember it well and was pleased to see it back on the shelves. Got myself a couple of tins of soup to try
    1976 Vintage

Re: Crosse and Blackwell

I didn't realise it had disappeared. Did it really disappear, if so when?
    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Never noticed it had gone either, I did notice towards the end of last winter/spring Asda were selling their soup cheap (I bought it )
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I knew a few years ago they seemed to cut the C&B range down, but it seemed still be used for tinned soups.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

crosse and blackwell beans.............ohhh yummmm

Comment

My mum always used to buy Crosse & Blackwell or HP beans when I was young, she claimed Heinz beans tasted funny.

At on time she went back to Heinz or supermarket on brand beans.

Comment

I also think Heinz beans taste funny.

As for Crosse and Blackwell, maybe I wasn't keeping my eyes peeled if the brand never went away, but I've certainly never happened upon it myself for a good few years. I was swept up with nostalgia when I came across the soup tins so I suppose their marketing is working!
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Are you refering to Branston beans? I never liked them, the sauce tasted watery. One C&B product we used to get regularly was the chicken chasseur mix. Around 1996, Findus and C&B were planning to merge, but that never happened.

Comment

I have purchased a few Crosse & Blackwell soups over the last few months.
                  Generally they are good, their Cream Of Tomato is definitely decent.
                  Also the Stilton & Broccoli and the Sweetcorn Chowder are quite nice.

Comment

I bought a 4 pack of Tomato soups on Saturday,

Comment

Love their baked beans.

Comment

Think it was Crosse & Blackwell that did "London Grill" in the 80's. It came in a standard sized tin with a label that was red in colour. It was simply heated in a saucepan (or if you had one back then, a microwave).

Baked Beans, Sausage, Bacon and small pieces of Kidney (yes, the latter ingredient being slightly "off the wall" in terms of a generic canned ready meal). All in a tomato sauce, of course!

It was really good - always a staple on camping holidays as a child! Much better than the more recent "All Day Breakfast" in a can type stuff that has appeared in the last couple of decades.

(Apologies again for bumping another old thread - I'm looking back through the forum during these long stints of lockdown, and posting on some that I have memories of).
                        Last edited by Big Tim; 20-03-2021, 19:36.

Comment

Yes Cross & Blackwell became one of those "Quality save" & "B&M bargains" brands although the soup range has been more commonplace. Try the chicken and veg, i can recommend it.
                          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978
                            We had a thread about London Grill https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/f...3-london-grill a few years ago.

There was a picture of a Heinz tin, but I guess other companies could have made their on version over the years.

I've had one of those breakfasts in a tin, which was an emergency meal I kept at the back of a cupboard until I had a reason to try it out.

Thanks for the response - I missed the Heinz version which made a comeback. I would have definitely given it a try for nostalgia, if nothing else.

Been looking for any information on C&B London Grill. Very few images, but found this on another forum (found via Google)
                            https://www.urban75.net/forums/threa....313716/page-2

Accompanied with this image (not mine, but taken from the linked site above). That particular tin is definitely before my time, and not the one I remember. It was pretty much a bright red more modern (well, for the 1980's) design.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X