Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Food you were brought up on.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    Pan haggerty. My families’ own version which is nothing like the traditional one Ade Edmondson made recently on his travels to Northumberland! Infact we didn’t even call it pan haggerty. It seems my family warped the name as much as the recipe over the generations. To me it will always be panackledy. Lovely with a dollop of brown sauce on top.

And home made rice pudding or macaroni mmmm! but without jam. Jam spoils it.

Perhaps we could have a DYR old fashioned recipes thread. I'd quite enjoy trying to cook some other peoples old family favourites.
    My Mam used to make panaclety once a week. Probably her own version of a recipe that her mother used to make. It was lovely. We had things like mice and baked dumplings a lot in the winter. Also shepherds pie (made with beef mince so cottage pie really but we called it shepherds pie) corned beef hash and liver and bacon were my favourites. My mam made everything from scratch. No packets. Just real food. My grans Yorkshire puddings with onions baked in them were fantastic!
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Oh god, where do I start?

Yorkshire puddings done by my Granddad always had grated onions in. They were lovely. Any 'puds that were left over got left to cool, then had jam put on them and were dished out.

This is something I never bothered with, but my Gran used to drain the veg water on the Sunday roast and dish it out for drinking. Even I thought this was odd. I don't know if the people responsible still do this.

Sometimes when my Mum made pies, she would make a jam tart in a side plate. The jam would be so hot when it came out that we'd have to wait ages for it to cool bfore we ate it. Sometimes the jam set really stiff and became glass like. Sometimes we'd have custard with it.

We'd often have milk puddings. Of course it isn't a milk pudding without a big dollop of jam in it. Bagsies not get the massive skin on top.

Something we had that nobody else ever seemed to try was cheese and jam sandwiches. Crumbly cheese mind. Give it a try before you write it off.

My grandparents had a strawberry garden that me and my cousin used to pick through with little plastic bowls filling them up. We'd then go inside, clean them and put a little sugar and eat them.

My other grandparents grew loads of stuff. The highlight was the tomatoes, my Granddad used to pick them, wash them, cut them really thin into slices, put them on a plate and put vinegar, salt and pepper on them.

We used to have Shepards pie a lot, so much that I could no longer actually stomach eating it.

My mum used to buy donut mix or something and invite the old lady from next door to have a drink and some donuts. I remember her putting them in front of the big gas fire under a towel so they would rise before cooking them. I don't really like donuts, but those were super nice.

I didn't used to eat these, but my Granddad had a space where he used to keep freerange hens. The amount of eggs we had was insane. He used to get me to pack them in egg boxes so he could sell them on, then give me a Terry's dark wafer as a reward.

My family being what it is, we'd often have some livestock on the go. I remember one year feeding the lambs loads of polo's just because I could. When they were slaughtered the meat from them already tasted of mint. lol

There's probably stuff I missed, it's hard to remember everything.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
        My Mam used to make panaclety once a week. Probably her own version of a recipe that her mother used to make. It was lovely. We had things like mice and baked dumplings a lot in the winter. Also shepherds pie (made with beef mince so cottage pie really but we called it shepherds pie) corned beef hash and liver and bacon were my favourites. My mam made everything from scratch. No packets. Just real food. My grans Yorkshire puddings with onions baked in them were fantastic!
        Freaky, in the time it took to do my post, you mentioned the onion 'puds.

Comment

We had things like mice and baked dumplings a lot in the winter.

I do hope that's a typo

Comment

It's the correction setting on my iPhone! Should say mince!!!!

Comment

So we're not the only ones to call it panackelty. Hooray! For the record, ours is mostly corned beef, onion and sliced potato. A bit like corned beef hash really.

Another thing my parents sometimes did was use cauliflower leaves instead of cabbage. Two veg in one and I could never really tell the difference.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

something i got a lot when younger was ravioli.
                im sure it came in tins, i really liked it.
                it comes in squares and it had thick tomato sauce in it i think.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Fried mince with chips, followed by a bowl of Ski yogurt from one of the big pots, in front of Angels on telly.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                    So we're not the only ones to call it panackelty. Hooray! For the record, ours is mostly corned beef, onion and sliced potato. A bit like corned beef hash really.

Another thing my parents sometimes did was use cauliflower leaves instead of cabbage. Two veg in one and I could never really tell the difference.
                    The panackelty my Mam used to make was with pieces of lamb with sliced onion, thin sliced potato and chunks of turnip (swede but we call swede turnip. Think it's a northern thing). She did sometimes do it with corned beef and would omit the turnip.

Comment

Pease pudding has always been a family favourite. My grandma made the best pease pudding I've ever tasted! Lovely! I still make it now to her recipe but it's not quite the same!

Comment

Grans (Babcia in Polish) special (well to me anyway) mash potato, after mashing she would transfer it into a aluminium pan and grill it until the top turned crusty but soft. Beetroots grated with horseradish and secret xtras, beetroot soup and bacon, that old retro fave trifle, Gołąbki (stuffed cabbage) which consisted of boiled rice, minced pork,/beef onions and seasoning served with a homemade tomato sauce - still eat/make these today!

Gołąbki (pronounced go-womp-kee) is translated as pigeon. Although no pigeon is used in the recipe, the name could possibly be due to it's resemblance to the shape of pigeon breast. Pork in breadcrumbs fried slightly and oven baked, goulash, pierogi and last but not least vodka (know this is not food but it is made from potatoes) was given sips of it as a kid where it was mixed with lime cordial.

Fish and chips, beef burgers, liver, faggotts, beef, chicken, turkey dishes. Semolina in tin, rice pudding.
                        Last edited by Beach Life; 12-01-2013, 12:56.

Comment

other things where.

potato waffles
                          fish fingers birds eye.
                          cabbage
                          caulflower
                          salad with tomato lettce eggs cheese beetroot.

crisps burgers fish and chips.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

when i was young it was meat and 2 veg nearly every day except fridays when mum made her own chips and we'd have fish cakes or rissoles (yum)........very little convenience foods in those day and thats not a bad thing........fav lunch at the weekends was walkers ready salted crisp sandwiches......and dessert was quite often a tub of mousse

Comment

Once a week it was usually a 'Vesta curry or rissotto', but usually it was pretty normal stuff like shepheards pie, liver, stew or homemade chips with eggs.

Comment

Also remembered Angel Delight (strawberry flavour) and just bought butterscotch flavour which I never tried but heard is nice and Angel Delight ice cream mix (never tried but look forward to making). Artic Roll was enjoyed too as was Dream topping with tinned fruit.

Comment

Working...
                                X