Wimpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wimpy

There is a new Wimpy just opened in the food hall of Frenchgate in Doncaster. Had a snack in there a few weeks ago. It really brought back some memories!! No big benders though!!!!!
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper68 View Post
      As a kid I always wanted one of those,but alas I never did,please tell me they tasted as good as they looked!!
      Ugh - I hope they DIDN'T taste as they looked - I always thought they resembled , well I'm embarrassed to say, but if I say the tip looked like a "pinch point" you may get the drift. And the name - "Brown Derby" didn't help!

Comment

a wimpy add from 1981

http://youtu.be/BMrwNzAAjbs
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Never went to Wimpy because I was a strange child who didn't like burgers. I remember the one in Newcastle that changed into a Burger King and I'm sure there was another in the Newgate(?) shopping centre that lasted longer as a Wimpy. Thought they'd completely gone from my area by the early 90's but their web site says there is one in a suburb of Newcastle. TBH I thought all Wimpys had gone.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

i live in a small town and im pretty sure we never had a wimpy.
            they where the macdonalds of there time.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            Never went to Wimpy because I was a strange child who didn't like burgers. I remember the one in Newcastle that changed into a Burger King and I'm sure there was another in the Newgate(?) shopping centre that lasted longer as a Wimpy. Thought they'd completely gone from my area by the early 90's but their web site says there is one in a suburb of Newcastle. TBH I thought all Wimpys had gone.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to love Wimpy, but have not seen one in years.

They used to finely dice onions and put them on the top of the hamburger.....oh baby

Comment

We've never had a Wimpy bar near here, I only used to go to one when on holiday in Folkestone in the 1970's (500+ miles away!).

I loved the cheeseburgers and the aforementioned finely diced onions. Washed down by a strawberry milkshake, braw!

Later on (in the late 70's early 80's) I remember getting badges and hats etc. from there with that beefeater mascot on (his hat was always over his eyes etc..).

I doubt if the Folkestone Wimpy bar is there now? Can any SE Coast doyourememberers enlighten me.

Comment

As a side note, I've always wondered if Wimpy has any connection to Wimpy the hamburger-munching character in Popeye, or is it just coincidence?
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

It was a rare treat to go to our local Wimpy bar.Can always remember the burgers tasting like home cooked burgers.Much better then the later funny tasting McD ones.In fact I quite miss our local Wimpy.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                      As a side note, I've always wondered if Wimpy has any connection to Wimpy the hamburger-munching character in Popeye, or is it just coincidence?
                      I think it's just a coincidence! Be good if it wasn't though!
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

A few weeks ago my wife and I took my teenage twins to a seaside town in Dorset called Swanage, which delightfully seems to to have stopped progressing from about 1972!

Anyway, tucked away in one of the side streets was a Wimpy bar and my heart skipped, not having seen one for a fair few years (there was one in Bournemouth, where I currently live, but that bit the dust as most seem to have done). We were short on time, otherwise I would have gladly gone in, but just looking at the menu brought back some great memories. One of the twins asked why customers were eating with knives and forks if it was meant to be a burger place...my wife and I could only look silently at each other in resignation of the past..."It was once called 'good manners'.." she eventually said...I couldn't have put it better myself....

Comment

the wimpy here has been totally done out in the last year..........it has folding doors at the front thats very different and means people can eat outside if they wish.........can't say i would though as its actually situated in the road where the all the town bus stops are (bus alley) and queues of people waitng where many of them smoke

Comment

We used to have a Wimpy in my town - long since gone now, surprised they're still going.

Comment

The used to do something called a 'Bender' snigger

Comment

I was surprised to see a very old school Wimpy in Wellingborough or Rushden when visiting relatives in 1998.

A lot became Burger King in the early 1990s.

The only Wimpys I've seen in recent years have been at Motorway services.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X