• Show
Clear All

Re: Holidays - Where did you go?

Another couple of scans
    Attached Files
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Between 1982 & 2000 I went most summers to Wells Next The Sea in North Norfolk, my gran had a caravan there which we could use for a week each year.

In the UK we also went to Isle Of Wight (twice), Minehead Butlins, Bracklesham Bay - near Chichester, Filey Haven Caravan Site & Mawgan near Helston.

We could afford to go abroad every other year & went to Portugal, Menorca, Corfu, France (twice, to the car on the ferry), Crete, Rhodes, Majorca & the USA (3 times.)
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
        Here are some scans of Butlins Filey postcards from thelate 1960s/early1970s
        I only went to Butlins once, at Pwhelli in 1974. It did not seem as good as Filey looks though on these pics!
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
          Never Visited the Filey camp, it looks fantastic.
          We visited Minehead, Skegness, Pwllheli and Barry Island, looking at those pictures still fills me with a warm glow inside, happy,happy days!!!!!
          The cards brought back many happy memories for me too.

I remember the road train going round, the fountains by the swimming pool, the figures on the walls, learning to swim in the indoor pool, the glass walls in in the indoor pool where you could sit in the cafe watching people swim above you , the funfair particularly the helter skelter.

I think I'll be adding to my collection of postcards now I've started it

Comment

Try here
            Bognor Regis
            Thanks so much for this link! I can't imagine how I missed it with all my Googling. There are some brilliant old photos and it's generally a very good site. Nostalgia fest imminant as I search all the areas of the site

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              ...Bracklesham Bay - near Chichester...
              In the late sixties and early seventies, our family went to Bracklesham Bay on, I think, six occasions. Twice to the Pontins Holiday Camp there, and about four times to the bungalows one could rent along West Bracklesham Drive. Sweet memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                In the late sixties and early seventies, our family went to Bracklesham Bay on, I think, six occasions. Twice to the Pontins Holiday Camp there, and about four times to the bungalows one could rent along West Bracklesham Drive. Sweet memories.
                I went to independently run holiday camp, called Sussex Beach, not sure if it was the Pontin's that had been taken over. I remember the owner looked like what happen if Hattie Jaques & Molly Sugden got into a teleporter at the same time!
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                  Thanks so much for this link! I can't imagine how I missed it with all my Googling. There are some brilliant old photos and it's generally a very good site. Nostalgia fest imminant as I search all the areas of the site
                  'tis a great site..been a member for a few years now...anyone else from here on it?

I'm on it as 'DoncasterDaveSkegness85'

ps worked there in the staff dining hall /bars '85, holidayed there as a kid 71-75, Skeg & Pllwhelli
                  sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                    'tis a great site..been a member for a few years now...anyone else from here on it?

I'm on it as 'DoncasterDaveSkegness85'

ps worked there in the staff dining hall /bars '85, holidayed there as a kid 71-75, Skeg & Pllwhelli
                    I registered last night. No Mods doing a regular welcome though. Probably a much quieter forum. Will have fun on there though, I'm sure.

Comment

• Re: Holidays - Where did you go?

I'm a member too
                      Heather

Comment

I'm a member too
                        I'm a lurker

Comment

Type A & B chalets at Maddiesons Camber Caravan Park in 1973".
                          Attached Files
                          Heather

Comment

Wonderful pic huggie. No mistaking the decade there!

Ohhhhh I love the 70s.

...if you hadn't guessed yet

Comment

Highfields in Clacton. Pontin's in Brixham (St. Mary's I think), then 2 years at Pontin's Camber Sands, and after that we got all exotic. Went to Lido Di Jesolo outside Venice one year, then Monastir in Tunisia in 1987. That was pretty much the last family holiday I went on. Still have weirdly fond memories of Camber Sands, though the earlier poster describing the camp as a bit of a gulag was correct. Great amusement arcade, though. Spent pretty much 2 weeks playing Gorf.
                              Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Mr Racket (snr) decreed holidays were to be a once a year, fortnight long tour of canals of the midlands on a narrowboat.

At the time, I thought this was a fate worse than death. The weather was always dismal, stopping for a boozy (for my parents at least) pub lunch, then more locks, rain, slippery towpaths, wonky chemical toilets, running aground etc etc.

However, looking back now, it wasn't all that bad, saw some lovely countryside and mooring up in the middle of nowhere is something I'd probably consider now.

Plus, without them holidays, I could never say I'd visited places as exotic and varied as Kidsgrove, Macclesfield, Bromsgrove, Burton-on-Trent or Market Drayton.

However, responding to the where did you go for your holidays question at primary school always felt a little underwhelming. On my holidays I went to Tamworth!
                                Quick... Run... Hide... Here comes Dave Stewart, walking up the drive, with that look in his eye!

Comment

Working...
                                X