Did you build a Den?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you build a Den?

One of my favourite things to do when I was younger, we mainly built ours in hollowed out bushes in the local park, using stumps for seats and twigs for carpets.

We also made a few bivouac's on camping holidays with the Red Cross Youth group I belonged too.

Nearly always when you turned a few days later someone had been and trashed it

I would have loved to have made a proper tree house but never did.

Den's, bivouac's, shelters, Dad's garden shed or tree houses surely PASSWORD's were a must!
    Heather

Re: Did you build a Den?

yeah it was great fun huggie.
    i remember building tree huts with the friends.
    it was so great sitting in the tree hut through summer.
    amazing memories indeed.
    how come u never built a tree hut,scared of heights.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      how come u never built a tree hut,scared of heights.
      Nah, just didn't have the natural resources/materials
      not many planks of wood or nails lying around our local park lol
      Heather

Comment

One of my friends made a den in his back garden, with the help of me & some other friends. It lasted a fair while but as it was mostly made of plywood & chipboard it started to warp in wet weather so we had to pull it down before it collapsed on someone.

I remember in the summer of 1989 me & the same group of friends & some others made a den (we called it our base) in some woods.

It lasted a few weeks until someone (I think it was the brother of someone in our gang) smashed it up. By then we were back at school so were only using it as weekends, so it wasn't too bad.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Without access to trees, one summer me and my best friend begged our dads to empty their garden sheds and turn them into gang huts for us (as if THAT was ever going to happen!) In the end we constructed a sort of den behind these two big bushes in my garden (loads of yellow flowers, stunk of lemons, many bees). It was quite good as it was next to the fence with rungs like ladders so we could climb onto next door's garage roof from inside.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

We had quite a few dens in the woods.

The first one I remember was an underground one, a very large hole was dug and inside half way down a ledge made to act as seats, I can't remember now what the roof was made of. The hols is still there now, some 30 years later all be it mainly filled in.

There was also a den known as the Newcastle hut, it had an old garage door painted black with the old NUFC magpie badge painted on as one side, wooden crates to act as walls, an old mattress as the roof and another to sit on. It lasted a good few years. Nearby to this there was also a wooden treehouse sort of thing as well, which was just wooden planks nailed onto tree branches forming a base with no roof or walls.

There was also an old concrete air raid shelter at the back of some nearby buildings that we used periodically as a den too, it always seemed slighty eerie going into it for some reason, presumably because it was always pitch black inside.

There was also the regular dens in bushes too. We were spoiled as kids having woods right on our doorsteps that gave us so many opportunities for adventure.
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

We had a disused railway close to where I lived as a youngster and one summer a group of about six of us made a den in an old abandoned hut next to the line.
              It was pretty good, we made seats and a table out of old bits of wood scattered about and even had some flowers in the window in a jam jar to make it homely!

sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Clothes horse and a sheet

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                  We had a disused railway close to where I lived as a youngster and one summer a group of about six of us made a den in an old abandoned hut next to the line.
                  It was pretty good, we made seats and a table out of old bits of wood scattered about and even had some flowers in the window in a jam jar to make it homely!
                  We always had pets when we built dens or tents. We'd put ladybirds in supermousse pots with pierced cling film on top and once we had a worm in a jam jar, complete with soil for his travels.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                    We always had pets when we built dens or tents. We'd put ladybirds in supermousse pots with pierced cling film on top and once we had a worm in a jam jar, complete with soil for his travels.
                    I mainly had caterpillars and ladybirds as jamjar pets. Nothing too creepy or slimy!
                    They always had lovely foliage in with them to crawl on and always had holes punched in the lid to breathe
                    sigpic
                    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I had a wendy house.Oddly enough we made indoor dens at work yesterday!

tulip

Comment

I lived in the Somerset countryside so we had lots of nothing. Our den was like a little fortress,a neighbour kid found a dead cat and stuck its head on a big stick at the entrance to scare off kids from the next village....ugh.... I never did like dens after that.

Frame.
                        "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by tulip View Post
                          I had a wendy house.Oddly enough we made indoor dens at work yesterday!

tulip
                          where u making them for some kids
                          perhaps your own.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I never had a den or a hut, but we played with the older kids in the street who had a gang hut in the shed of their garden. We used to think it was so cool and would make perfect mud biscuits and put red berries in them, they looked great once they'd hardened.

My cousins got to use my grandad's old sunhouse for a gang hut - I was so jealous. I would sit in it when they weren't there and read all their gang notes on the notice board. Grandad pulled it down eventually, but left the bricks around the bottom which were around a foot high. I tried out my friends pogo-stick next to them, slipped on the mossy surface and split my head open. It's revenge for my jealousy maybe :0(

Comment

Lol,Darren,Im a childcare worker,I do after school care.The kids asked for the big jigsaw shaped mats out,they use them to make dens and we were given loads of groundsheets and stuff from our head office too.The kids were busy on thier own,but asked us for some help.We made a house type thing with them.Great fun.We did den building training a couple of years ago!

tulip

Comment

Working...
                              X