Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refillable Cigarette Lighters

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

    Originally posted by tex View Post
    I dont remember my dad carrying any other lighter than this....

    My dad had one of those too! I remember as a kid we used to play with all the different lighters my parents and grandparents had.

    Later in life I had one that was the same size/shape as a cigarette with a flip top, that fitted neatly in the packet. Novelty lighters were always something you saw in seaside gift shops, like gun shaped ones etc and laser pointer ones.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

      Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
      I remember as a kid we used to play with all the different lighters my parents and grandparents had.
      I don't even want to imagine the dangerousness that sort of thing would entail.

      You never set the house on fire did you?
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

        Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        I don't even want to imagine the dangerousness that sort of thing would entail.

        You never set the house on fire did you?
        Lol, nah we were supervised mostly. A treat used to be getting to roll my dad's rollies with the rolling machine he had. How times have changed!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

          A tip of advice for users of Ronson wick lighters that doesn't appear to be well published. Many models have screw in filler caps for the lighter fluid and the sealing gasket perishes with age, or may even be completely missing. A rubber O ring with a cross section of 1mm and an inside diameter of 6.5mm fits perfectly on the filler cap used on the Whirlwind and circular table lighter inserts like the one used on the Carousel and Richmond – they possibly fit several other models as well.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

            Originally posted by Arran View Post
            A tip of advice for users of Ronson wick lighters that doesn't appear to be well published. Many models have screw in filler caps for the lighter fluid and the sealing gasket perishes with age, or may even be completely missing. A rubber O ring with a cross section of 1mm and an inside diameter of 6.5mm fits perfectly on the filler cap used on the Whirlwind and circular table lighter inserts like the one used on the Carousel and Richmond – they possibly fit several other models as well.
            I might just have to buy one so I can use one of the many sized o-rings I have in my garage, nothing is more satisfying than replacing an o-ring with one of your spares from the mixed spare tin, just one of the joys when you get old.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

              Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
              Lol, nah we were supervised mostly. A treat used to be getting to roll my dad's rollies with the rolling machine he had. How times have changed!
              I suppose that it has comparisons with playing with sparklers on 5th November or blowing candles on a birthday cake, but I was startled a bit there!
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

                Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                I might just have to buy one so I can use one of the many sized o-rings I have in my garage, nothing is more satisfying than replacing an o-ring with one of your spares from the mixed spare tin, just one of the joys when you get old.
                There are plenty of Ronson wick lighters from the 1940s and 50s on ebay and they rarely cost much unless they are a particularly rare or sought after model.

                For some reason or other there isn't much public interest in them compared with Zippo lighters. They are reliable and easy to service. All consumables (wicks, flints, cotton wool, and lighter fluid) are cheap and readily available.

                Comment

                Working...
                X