I ain't seen that in...yonks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I ain't seen that in...yonks!

Watney's Party Seven - I was too young to drink this but I do remember always seeing them the night after my parent's entertained - always a number of triangles cut desperately into the metal in order to get the beer out quicker!

Dial-a-Disc - before the Internet and MTV, the nearest we had to choosing music to be played to us without having the music ourselves was to dial something like 151(?) and listen to the tinny, quiet and crackling rendition over the 'phone. I can't believe that myself and my friends found it exciting

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      still got these down ere!
      "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by danbakuk View Post

Does any one still get a chip van? not a static one - a proper one that drives around and beeps his horn when hes stopped?

We also used to get a Shop Van - a proper shop in the back of a van, you could buy anything a corner shop would sell and get 10p back on your pop bottles
        "shamefull" we get one of these twice a week down here

Comment

I had a soda stream for xmas when they came out, I think mine had two free flavours with it, one was tonic water and the other was orange I think, the tonic was still almost full when it got made redundant about a year later

Comment

Originally posted by CoteDazur View Post
            Watney's Party Seven - I was too young to drink this but I do remember always seeing them the night after my parent's entertained - always a number of triangles cut desperately into the metal in order to get the beer out quicker!

Dial-a-Disc - before the Internet and MTV, the nearest we had to choosing music to be played to us without having the music ourselves was to dial something like 151(?) and listen to the tinny, quiet and crackling rendition over the 'phone. I can't believe that myself and my friends found it exciting
            Good call on Dial-A-Disc. I totally forgot about that service. There were quite a few weird services the old GPO used to provide over the telephone. The speaking clock was virtually essential when you woke up in the morning after forgetting to wind your watch up before going to bed. I used to call it up all the time without realizing it cost money. Oops!
            Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Oh wow I'd completely forgotten about dial a disc, you could get horroscopes and all sorts of things from BT, they must have mada a fortune from people phoning up.

In the days before internet chatrooms they also used to have a chatline service called Talkabout i think where teens could talk to each other. I remember me and my friends used to go it a bit, so much so my parents put a phone lock on, pity they didnt know about my lock picking skills
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I remember a brand of Cola from the 70s called Strike Cola. Haven't seen it since. Porcelain Shire horses, those oversized brandy glasses with a mouse in the bottom and a cat about to climb over the lip and pitch (tar) from the cobbled street. It used to appear between the cobbles on hot days. We used to play with it with lollie sticks. What fun Not seen any of these since my childhood, oh and tomato shaped sauce dispensers is another.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by CoteDazur View Post

Aaaaaah!! Dial-a-Disc. I used to do that too, the number was 160!! Wasn't it something to do with Woolworths? It was **** really wasn't it?
                  "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frame View Post
                    I had a soda stream for xmas when they came out, I think mine had two free flavours with it, one was tonic water and the other was orange I think, the tonic was still almost full when it got made redundant about a year later
                    Get busy with the fizzy.....
                    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                    sigpic

Comment

• Re: Pulling the chain

Originally posted by Austin 1100 View Post
                      My toilet still has one and it's an indoor loo in a flat lol!
                      I had one when I lived in a council block on Old Kent Road!! Southwark Council had to replace the cistern though as it had a very high asbestos content... oh how I miss the squalor...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                        Actually does anyone else remember the Glass milk bottles, with the long narrow necks, and metal lids you needed a opener for??? I cant find a picture of one to post
                        Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                        Sure you're not 74 Heather? They sound really old, I only remember them with foil tops although I do remember long narrow necks.

Yay at last!!! proof, and I promise they did have metal lids you prised off with a bottle opener being sold as from the 70's
                        Attached Files
                        Heather

Comment

I remember my local Co-op having sterilised milk in bottles like that, & wondering why they had a solid metal lid rather than foil.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Quosh is one of those products that seemed to vanish overnight. I remember the bottles were a strange shape, a bit like the schlur ones.

There was also a range of Quosh in small cartons, advertised by an alien who drank them by sticking the straw in his ear!

Comment

• Attached Files
                              Heather

Comment

Thanks for that!

Comment

Working...
                                X