Letraset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Letraset

You should all visit the Society for the Preservation of Letraset Action Transfers at SPLAT — you won't believe in what detail we have this subject covered!

If you decide you want to join, though, read the instructions carefully. It's free, of course, but to protect the existing members we only let new people in if they tell us they want to join BEFORE they apply. IOW, if you just apply, you won't get in. Tell us you want to join first, & then apply, & you'll get in. We just need to be sure you're human, & not a spammer. Piece of cake! It sounds daft, but a lot of people don't seem to get it…

Anyway, if you're interested in any of these items, come & check us out. Particularly the one who remembers the four-armed astronauts from the 1965 Lunar Base Panorama… I want a word with you!

Comment

I'd love to join

and just did
      Last edited by sixtyten; 27-11-2009, 00:29.

Comment

Wow, that was really quick! Okay, I got the message you sent from the website; now you can go ahead & follow the application link (which you may already have done before I even finish posting this reply)… it's not automated, it's just me, & it's quite late, so it may be tomorrow before you get your confirmation.

This is really great, because for the first time ever someone is actually showing people how to do this the right way round! Loads of people apply first without getting in touch, & we have to work out who they are & ask them if they really meant it… so full marks to you for getting it right.

Er… that makes it sound like we haven't many members; in fact, there are over 60 of us so far.

Comment

Thanks. I've had the automated message

Comment

All done, and can see Forum. many thanks

Comment

It was all so quick I had to wait for the system to catch up — but you're in now. Welcome to SPLAT! (Er… over there!)

Right, who's next?

Comment

stu:
                "Does anyone remember MINI TOONS, they were made by LETRASET and were small cartoon sceens with the rub down transfers"
                Mini-Toons first appeared in 1970, & were reprinted & varied many times.

"also the large transfer sets, the background was about three feet wide, folding into three, then there was a large sheet of transfer, that you had to rub with a pen to get them to stick to the back ground, I remember a space theme and knights"
                Panoramas were three feet wide, so these seem to be the ones you're thinking of. The Space one was "Lunar Base" & the knights "Storming a Fortress". Originally produced by Letraset in 1965, Waddingtons took them over in 1966 & added a very primitive colour.

"There was also a batman one on the back of shredded wheat"
                Yes - there was a 1966 Batman Panorama, & one of the transfer sheets from this was divided into 6 & made available as a set of cereal premiums.

Clive Henry Jones:

"I remember the space themed ones the best, the combatants (Black and white) had backpacks with an extra pair of arms IIRC.
                The later "Batman" letrasets were better drawn and in colour."

The 1965 Lunar Base Panorama again. The first 5 were monochrome (sometimes with one sheet of white & one of black). The next 7 were in four spot colours, & Waddingtons later colourised the first batch so that they were eventually available in two different versions.

I dispute that the Batman Panorama was better drawn; IMHO the monochrome Lunar Base Panorama was Letraset's finest ever production.

Richard1978:

"I think the ones from the early 1980s were plugged by footballer, might have been Kevin Keegan but not totally sure."

You're thinking of Kevin Keegan Action Replay — set of 8, 1980. So perfectly correct! Let me know if you find the first one… we have the other 7.

I can answer any question on anything Letraset-related, so feel free to ask…

Comment

Originally posted by Letraset
                  Richard1978:

"I think the ones from the early 1980s were plugged by footballer, might have been Kevin Keegan but not totally sure."

You're thinking of Kevin Keegan Action Replay — set of 8, 1980. So perfectly correct! Let me know if you find the first one… we have the other 7.

I can answer any question on anything Letraset-related, so feel free to ask…
                  Like a lot of things from my childhood, they got chucked away years ago, mostly because I made a mess when sticking the transfers down, making it look like a scene from a Sam Peckinpah film without the blood.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Ah… you didn't have the gory versions, then?

Comment

I was referencing the fact most of the players seemed to loose an arm or leg (sometimes more than 1 limb) when I tried to stick them down.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Attached Files
                        Heather

Comment

Not seen that Star Wars set before. Nice! I remember the ones that came with Shreddies.

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

Did shreddies also do a transfer set for Superman when it was released?

Comment

Yes — there was a set of four for Superman II.

Comment

I had that little Chewbacca note book. Always wondered what sort of 'space notes' he'd want to jot down in it. 'Must remember to top up on conditioner' and stuff like that probably.

Comment

Working...
                                X