No announcement yet.

Sights, sounds,smells and tastes that take you back to being a kid again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sights, sounds,smells and tastes that take you back to being a kid again

There's a sound that can't take me back because I never hear it any more. Factory hooters. Swan Hunter's ship yard in Wallsend had one and you could hear it from mine if the wind was right. Other factories around had them too and they all went off at 7:30am, always a few seconds apart and with slightly different pitches. It brings back memories of lying in bed on cold, dark winter mornings and knowing I had to get up for school when I heard them.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I was in the supermarket today and the smell near the bakery section instantly made me think of Christmas time when i was very young not sure what the smell was but this has never happened before even at the right time of year. also the smell of diesel takes me back to childhood as my dad was a bus driver and i spent a good amount of time in the Depot

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        yes indeed i can remember doing that back in the day.

another thing that takes me back is my dad driving me around in his lada.
        Whenever I see old MK IV Cortina's I remember being sat in my Dads estate model....loved it. The seats seemed so big back then-and no rear seat belt laws so you's slide across the seat when Dad did a big turn....lol. Don't see many of them anymore do you sadly.

Also, you don't see many Lada's anymore either. I know they were based on Fiats, and Skoda did the same too. Skoda's now an amazing company having been brought by Volkswagen and have turned from a joke into something so brilliant.

Comment

[QUOTE=sf1378;154152]Whenever I see old MK IV Cortina's I remember being sat in my Dads estate model....loved it. The seats seemed so big back then-and no rear seat belt laws so you's slide across the seat when Dad did a big turn....lol. Don't see many of them anymore do you sadly.
          [QUOTE]

True and you got a pretty good slide on the plastic 'fake leather' back seat in my dad's Datsun Cherry. The seat used to pong in the heat and stick to your legs too. Sometimes I'd like to ride along standing up between the front seats looking out the front pretending I was riding a motorbike. Other times I'd lie on the back seat with my legs sticking up over the back rest. These are the pleasures kids miss out on today.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

My Mum's Renault 12 had black vinyl seats that used to be too hot to sit on in the summer, she had to cover it with an old sheet in the end.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              My Mum's Renault 12 had black vinyl seats that used to be too hot to sit on in the summer, she had to cover it with an old sheet in the end.
              We put towels on ours in the end.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Got a waft of something that reminded me of that Airfix glue the other day.

They probably don't sell it with those plane kits anymore, yobs today would sniff it I expect.

Comment

The smell of freshly laid tarmac brings back memories of sunny days as an infant.Tarmac always wafted through the air the warmer and sunnier a day was,and i loved it.
                  Also,oil from a local bus company depot.It was only small and had a few coaches in,but the oil on the floor was lovely to smell,especially on hot sunny days.I use to love sitting by the doors,smelling the oil and listening to the flies buzz around.
                  A strange smell i remember liking,was from a little polluted stream that ran along the back of a factory.When we were infants,we use to love going their and smelling the strange smell.
                  There is a railway station about a mile from our house,with an old wooden crossing.I use to love standing on it smelling the wood and train oil on hot summer days.Once across,there was a big sandy beach.It was a lovely combination of smells in summer.

Comment

parma violet sweets................that always does it for me

Comment

That combination floorwax and popcorn smell that was Woolworth's unique odor. At least that's what all the Woolworth's smelled like to me.

Comment

pretty sure my dad had a skoda at one time as well.
                        2nd hand one as was the lada.[
                        also had a ford capri.
                        pretty sure the lada was green.

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                        Whenever I see old MK IV Cortina's I remember being sat in my Dads estate model....loved it. The seats seemed so big back then-and no rear seat belt laws so you's slide across the seat when Dad did a big turn....lol. Don't see many of them anymore do you sadly.

Also, you don't see many Lada's anymore either. I know they were based on Fiats, and Skoda did the same too. Skoda's now an amazing company having been brought by Volkswagen and have turned from a joke into something so brilliant.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The smell of rubber always makes me think of those little black slip-on gym shoes (plimsolls? daps?) we had to wear for gym at primary school. They absolutely reeked for the first few wears.

A disinfectant smell, our school cloakroom always smelled like this, and sometimes the playground did as well if someone had thrown up during playtime, you got sawdust smells then too as the caretaker always chucked some of it down on top. I swear the same disinfectant smell was lurking in the lobby of a hotel we checked into in Florida recently. O_0

Pipe tobacco, my Grandad always smoked tins of St Bruno when I was small and catching a whiff now takes me right back.

The taste of peppermint always reminds me of trips to the seaside and worrying my parents silly for sticks of rock. I always wanted the big ones that came in walking stick-like tubes but we usually just got little ones. You'd suck it to a sharp point on the train going home and then it would be taken away with the promise you could have it later. Then of course you forgot about it and only found it when it had gone soft.
                          Last edited by Genie; 29-03-2012, 10:03.

Comment

The smell of batterys i remember going to butlins skeggy it smelt really bad.
                            the smell of the engine of the morris minor
                            the smell of a cricket ball rubber
                            everytime i go in a war museum the smell
                            and old magazines the smell fusty smell i love that smell

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

In public toilets I occasionally come across those little bars of white soap that smell just like the ones we had at school.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

I always think of funfairs when smelling fried onions, from the hot dog stands.

I was amused that the aftershave Joop smelling a bit like nit shampoo!

Old electric equipment has a funny smell, it always reminds me of an old broken portable radio I had when I was young.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X