Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you got wrong when you were a kid..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things you got wrong when you were a kid..

I had a problem pronouncing certain words when I was younger. Whilst on holiday in Rhyl I saw a street sign for the first time and asked my Mum (literal) "What's Wrexham st"? (not street as it should have been). Tomato was another. Used to pronounce it Tom-a-two (after all thats how "to" sounded). The last one was grotesque. This always came up in our annual reading test in the headmasters office at Junior school. I always read it as grote-scew until the final year when I remembered. Oh and Duchess was another. I always thought it was Duke and Dukess. DOH!
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
      The last one was grotesque. This always came up in our annual reading test in the headmasters office at Junior school. I always read it as grote-scew until the final year when I remembered.
      I sometimes do that on purpose now. When I use the word 'picturesque' I deliberately sometimes say 'picture-skew', usually only with people who know me well enough to know I'm doing it deliberately. I also sometimes put the silent letters back into words such as 'receipt', 'knowledge', or 'Autumn', again, usually not seriously and only with friends and colleagues.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I remember looking everywhere for the 'elbow grease' when I was younger. We had to take turns doing the dishes from the age of about eight, one night I had a real burnt saucepan and was complaing.
        Mum told me to use Elbow Grease
        she found it highly amusing 10 minutes later when I said I couldn't find it in any of the cupboards
        Heather

Comment

I can blame my mother for me coming out with some mispronounced words. I mean I just picked up the words from her, as you do, and you assume they are right but it turns out she's got a vocabulary of her own so for years I'd be talking about funderals and being pacific about things.

She's older now so has an excuse but the old words remain stuck and new ones keep appearing. If I go on the computer she insists I have a look at a 'web side'.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

In one episode of Star Trek there's these jelly fish things stuck to a door frame that are going to get Captain Kirk. I thought they were klingons. I still think they should be klingons.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Quantum physics

Comment

I thought that if you turned the steering wheel through 360 degrees, your car would flip onto its roof!

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                  I remember looking everywhere for the 'elbow grease' when I was younger. We had to take turns doing the dishes from the age of about eight, one night I had a real burnt saucepan and was complaing.
                  Mum told me to use Elbow Grease
                  she found it highly amusing 10 minutes later when I said I couldn't find it in any of the cupboards
                  yes heather you beat me to it hun.
                  i think we all got caught out with elbow grease.

you should try to catch your own whipper snappers out with it.

but i also thought it was actually for your elbow.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember my mum saying she was going out one night to Weight Watchers, I asked her why and what it was and she said she was going so she could lose weight. When me and my dad went to pick her up in the car, I remember asking my dad if my mum was going to come out thin, he burst out laughing! I remember thinking how they could make my mum skinny in one night, I had all these thoughts about them cutting the fat off her etc and I remember being nervous, as I thought I might not recognise her when she came out lol what a strange child I was LOL

Comment

Originally posted by AmethystWitch View Post
                      I remember my mum saying she was going out one night to Weight Watchers, I asked her why and what it was and she said she was going so she could lose weight. When me and my dad went to pick her up in the car, I remember asking my dad if my mum was going to come out thin, he burst out laughing! I remember thinking how they could make my mum skinny in one night, I had all these thoughts about them cutting the fat off her etc and I remember being nervous, as I thought I might not recognise her when she came out lol what a strange child I was LOL
                      It is funny the things you get upset about. I remember going hysterical when my mum got her first pair of glasses! She looked weird. It was like the end of the world!
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

When I worked in a bakery as a trainee I was asked to go to the warehouse for a long stand to place the icing sugar bowl on, this I did, then after waiting for what seemed like an eternity the warehouse boss came back and said that I had 'stood there' long enough and I should go back to my work section!..

I too got caught out with the Elbow Grease', I hunted everywhere when asked to use some!..lol

Comment

LOL I've heard people being caught out fetching a left handed broom or brush, but that long stand is classic
                          Heather

Comment

My friend and I were sat in my home eating an apple each, she kept taking out the pips, then she asked where mine were, I just said I ate them, she came back with a look of shock on her face and said that an Apple Tree would grow inside of me!..
                            In the garden we had one and on looking at it properly for the first time ever, and then at my size, I was petrified, so every chance I got I would go into the bathroom to look into the huge mirror we had on the wall to look down my throat to see if any leaved branches were starting to show!.

Comment

I always got the indian tribe 'Sioux, wrong. I'd read about the Big Horn in an encylopaedia saw this name and for years didn't know how to pronounce Sioux. It's pronounced 'Sue' of course. I tried to get my young tongue around it. 'Sow-ux' was the best I could come up with.

Of course in those days there was no-one to ask, as no-one would know what you were talking about.

Mrs PW's nephew used to think 'TO LET' signs were actually big TOILETS.

Comment

Working...
                              X