Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-2021)

The sad news has been announced of the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at the age of 99 - he was the husband (and male consort) of HM The Queen, and was married to her for over 73 years, marrying on Thursday 20th November 1947. A very strong marriage from any couple that I can think of - a marriage older than Prince Charles who was born the following year.

The Duke of Edinburgh was born in Corfu back in June 1921 and has a rich mixture of different nationalities associated with him - he was a very colourful and insightful character, even if some of his "off the cuff" remarks did raise a few eyebrows - I won't mention any of them on here as I feel that it wouldn't really be appropriate. In recent years I always thought of him as being a male version of the Queen Mother - someone who was a senior member of the British Royal Family but was also known for their longevity. No doubt, I assume that he is the British Royal Family's longest lived male family member, if not one of the longest lived?

It is cruelly ironic that the Queen sends cards to those who have reached the age of 100, and now she won't even be able to send one to her husband now - I was certain that the Duke of Edinburgh would have made it to his 100th birthday in June - I thought that he would make it. He was a fighter of life and health all the way to the end. It's also ironic that he passed away on 9th April - in recent years, 9th April has also been the anniversary of various Royal events such as the Queen Mother's funeral in 2002, and Prince Charles marrying Camilla in 2005 - (moved from 8th April due to the coincidence of Pope John II's funeral on that same day).

For some reason, I just cannot imagine HM The Queen as being a widow, not even at the age of nearly 95 - I always thought that their marriage would last longer than most of us. Life without the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh as a married couple is just like the United Kingdom flag without the Union Jack on it, (in which most of them will be flown at half-mast as a mark of respect). I did remember from the news when Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex married Sophie Rhys-Jones in June 1999 that he would become the next Duke of Edinburgh on receipt of the death of his father - whether that will actually happen now, we will just have to wait and see.

His legacy was the Duke if Edinburgh award which I shall assume will continue after him and will be a huge tribute to him after what has just happened. I have always admired him as a Royal Family member and also as a human being. Humanity will be a lot poorer due to his loss in society.

Heather, HG and the others: I make no apology for starting a thread about the Duke of Edinburgh's death on this forum, and I hope that this thread will be allowed to stay on here and not be deleted, even if it is seen as being off-topic for DYR - I am sorry, but I would rather quit this forum for good rather than see this thread deleted.

Last edited by George 1978; 11-05-2021, 04:22.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

A true servant to the country, RIP
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

The Duke of Edinburgh awards - designed to encourage young people to get away from urban squalor, to explore the countryside, learning outdoor skills and putting a tiny bit of intrepid peril in their lives, is a great legacy.
      Prince Philip was often in conflict with the health and safety brigade, who sought to emasculate his DoE awards.

Comment

Hey George....Why do you feel the thread might be considered inappropriate for this forum?....seems a strange thing to say as we pay tribute to the recently deceased all the time on here.
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          Hey George....Why do you feel the thread might be considered inappropriate for this forum?....seems a strange thing to say as we pay tribute to the recently deceased all the time on here.
          This was my thoughts, he was alive in the 70's, 80's and 90-s so absolutely no need to delete.
          Heather

Comment

One of the saddest things about this was that the BBC received record numbers of complaints because they changed their schedule and postponed some evening programmes to broadcast a special obituary feature.
            Looks like the only thing many Brits seem to care about these days is getting their daily fix of Eastenders.
            Last edited by Cartimand; 14-04-2021, 09:11.

Comment

Very sad news when i heard of his death.
              All the regional bbc stations on friday where doing the same news on his death.
              R i p philip.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                I don't know - it seems that the majority of people we pay tribute to are usually entertainers, sportspeople, actors and all that, and I wasn't too sure how pro-Royal people are on this forum considering that most of us are quite average people. Even politicians can raise an eyebrow sometimes. I do sometimes think "is it appropriate?"

Anyway, I saw the funeral on 17th April and observed the minute silence while watching BBC One - I also wrote to HM The Queen c/o Buckingham Palace just after I started this forum, and I also donated a cheque by post to the Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme - they both since replied. I might also donate to the World Wildlife Fund as he was involved in that as well.

I have been away myself, not just mourning the Duke but also due to a bit of poor health both to myself and my computer (had to get repair person out for the latter), but I can say that both are working fine now.

I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post

This was my thoughts, he was alive in the 70's, 80's and 90-s so absolutely no need to delete.
                  I nearly thought it was an "I'll get me coat" moment when I started this thread, but I suppose that I needn't think like that at all.

I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Today (Thursday 10th June 2021) would have been HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh's 100th birthday. No mention of the the anniversary on the news yet, and no programmes on the main TV channels, although BBC Radio 4 FM has something this week in the 9.45 am slot called "Young Prince Philip" which is readings from a book by Philip Eade, abridged by Polly Coles and read by Nicholas Woodesen. "King George II asks Philip to finish his naval training in England. He sees action aboard battleship Valiant." I usually tune in for the Daily Service on the DAB if BBC Radio 4 is on at that time of the morning.

I would have loved to have had a couple of minutes' silence at either 11.00 am or 12.00 midday today n memory of the man - I am recording BBC News on BBC Two later on in case something like this will happen.

I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X