RIP Steve Wright - BBC Radio 1 and 2 DJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Steve Wright - BBC Radio 1 and 2 DJ

Steve Wright, who graced weekday afternoons with his shows on BBC Radio 1 and 2 (as well as a stint at breakfast time) has died aged 69 - (one must add that he was absolutely nothing to do with any namesake from Ipswich who was up to no good a few years ago, either).

I think that he was a bit of a Marmite sort of character, and I could take him depending on the mood I was in - I felt neutral towards his way of presenting as a radio presenter. His Radio 2 show certainly had plenty of great guests over the years. I remember when Radio 1 was MW only and was on what is TalkSport's frequencies now of 1053 KHz, and it seemed cool circa 1987 to hear his show in the afternoon on a stereo radio cassette recorder - ironic considering the fact that the stereo side of things didn't do anything for MW listening.

I have to admit (especially as Valentine's Day is tomorrow as I write this) that I was never too fond of the Sunday Love Songs programme at 9.00 am on Sunday, but he was there for those who wanted to listen - he pre-recorded it on Friday mornings for Sunday transmission. Wright had only just took over Pick of the Pops from Tony Blackburn which makes the shock of his passing even more apparent - only last Saturday he did 1978, which as you have imagined from my name, is the year of my birth. His demise will leave huge holes in the BBC Radio 2 schedules at weekends, and it would be interesting to see who will replace him. Pick of the Pops has had several presenters over the years and so I am certain that a replacement will be found. What with his weekday and weekend programmes, he clocked up more broadcasting hours on Radio 2 in the 2000s and 2010s than any other presenter, and I am certain that he was on air seven days a week at one point, albeit doing pre-recorded shows at weekends.

In around 1999, Steve Wright was a guest on Gloria Hunniford's Open House on Channel 5 (Hunniford was a predecessor in the Radio 2 afternoon slot), and the strange thing was that the interview was on the same time as his Radio 2 show. When I contacted Channel 5, they told me that the edition in which Wright was on was prerecorded as it was a Monday edition while most other editions were live, hence Wright's availability to appear on the show and revealing that some shows were prerecorded, almost giving the illusion that he was in two places at once. But who will present his programmes now that he cannot even be in one place at once now? We will find out in due course, no doubt.

I suppose I could say as a tribute: "love the show"...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Shocker!
    RIP Steve

Comment

Not a fan but no doubting his talent
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I never listened to him ever.
        But i was shocked when i heard the news r i p steve.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

As well as presenting TOTP, I forgot to mention that he did the TOTP2 shows on BBC Two as well - great place to see songs from the 1970s and 1980s performed.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Very unexpected & sad news!
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              I never listened to him ever.
              But i was shocked when i heard the news r i p steve.
              This sure was a shiock Darren yes

I never really listened to him - unless was out in the Car on a Sunday and we had Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs . It was very very romantic how this show was compiled with people who had wrote in with dedications to their loved ones they had met 40 years before or who had a Special Story to it etc. It was compiled in a genius way

RIP Steve Wright

He will never ever be forgtan, and more than probably will make the the top 2 DJs of all time I feel

Comment

I noticed that Michael Ball will take over Sunday Love Songs in June - as he already has a Sunday morning programme after it at 11.00 am, I wonder whether he will move from that or the two shows will be merged. I have to admit however that Sunday Love Songs should have passed on with Wright and that something else should have started in its place. Pick of the Pops seem to be holding its own with Gary Davies in the chair, but the chart years feel samey compared to when Winton and Freeman did the show.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X